XP Stop Errors

Grain

:'( Jesus, thats a lot of money to spend just to get hooked up for high speed. Wouldn't going the satellite route be a bit better for you. Around here, 150$ will get you a dish and modem, then you just have the monthly charges for what ever package you get........... :/ Most of these dishes come with dual LNB's so you could hook two puters up ( with the additional charge of second modem ) guess you could use router for the same purpose. :)

Just seems a rip off, so close to a major city and yet so far from a high speed connection at reasonable prices............ :angry::/

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on an farm, and DSL, cable etc is not available yet, apparently putting in fibre optic cable, but that's years off IMO.

It should stay years off, probably. Who wants fiber optic cable inserted into cows, anyway? :lol: What's the best having an Internet connected cow can offer? "PING! YOU'VE GOT MILK!"

Thats UDDERLY ridiculous guys.......................... :lol::lol: . I suppose internet through a chicken would give you BEAK neck speeds though............. :w00t:

I dunno, I pay $47.00 US a month for my broadband connection...and they also require you to subscribe to their cable services...right now at $97.00 a month for both...and I only have the 'Family Basic' plan...feels a lot like: :doctor:

Sounds like a lot - my Broadband is unlimited for ?19 a month, we have to get phone services as well but whole lot averages ?30 a month.

Then again I pay an extra ?33 for Sky Satellite TV so I guess it now sounds ok Spinner =))

Still getting the restarts, no BSOD, just reboots. Fucker is starting to piss me off. Tried the windows debug utility, but it couldn't read the files stored in the mini dump, said they were not for it(I'm paraphrasing, at the fiance's). Monitor shows the temps and wattages are fine, and it's not giving me anywhere to start looking. BIOS won't allow me to change what it does on critical stops like some will, I'd rather it slowly go down than this.

BIOS won't allow me to change what it does on critical stops like some will, I'd rather it slowly go down than this.

Have you tried resetting the BIOS to default by using jumpers on the motherboard or clearing the CMOS by disconnecting all power, removing the battery and then hitting the power button (which drains the last of the power from the capacitors which clears the CMOS?)

I found a driver on AMD's site that is for their dual core CPU's & WinXp, allows XP to allocate duties correctly (supposedly) to the 2 cores. Installed it, working well "so far". Failing that I'll clear the CMOS, thanks for the tip Shamus. This MB has a button to clear it, apparently you don't need to remove the battery, which is kind of neat.

Update. So I tried the AMD driver download which is supposed to allow windows to allocate resources to which every CPU would serve best, hasn't really helped the stop errors, but it has started the FSB Multiplier to dance from 6X to 18X. Runs really stable until I tax the system. Cleared the CMOS, have gotten a BSOD after that which was very crytic, said TRAP_CAUSE_UNKNOWN, which from what I've found on the web, along with a string of numbers I wrote down as fast as I could(not fast enough to get all) XXX STOP 0X00000012, which "sort of" points to a Sound Blaster driver issue, but more on ME OS's. As I'd had problems with my old Athlon 64 Skt939 and a Audigy card (could never get it to work without a BSOD), I thought that may be worth looking into. So I've removed the Sound Blaster driver from the on-board Creative card. So far so good, has passed the first "stress" test, compressing video, burning DVD's, & surfing the web without crashing. Nice scans also. I'm not convinced this is the problem, but will happily be wrong.

I've been wondering about the vid card also, drivers are up to date, but apparently some people are having issues with nvidia drivers and dual core processors. I played FarCry for an hour the other night with no issues, not that that makes it all right though.

Still no errors/problems with the Audigy drivers removed. Passed the last stress test where I was running a PiPo scan w/ DIP, ImgBurn burning w/ 3 discs in the que, DVDShrink running compressing a disc to 75% w/ deep analysis and compress video w/ quality adaptive et al running, also had 5 folders open, Mozilla running downloading, and Epson Print CD running but not printing. Shrink was done in 12 minutes, I like this dual core :) Only problem no audio :(

Appears to be the latest bios. Still no issues, it seems fully stable now, without the sudigy driver, which is weird. Must be something(software) I'm running elsewhere that conflicts with it.

when I asked for an everest overclock report I was thinking memory issues, is that kingston value or hyperx?

course that was before the part about you unloading audigy drivers?????????

Edited by chewy

Its Kingston Value Ram. Had the same 4 sticks in my old AMD 939 rig without issues, so I doubt problems there. Makes zero sense why Audigy drivers would be the problem, but it certainly is looking that way.

• 4 months later...

Still got sound problems, works like a clock without a sound card running. Tried a different brand sound card, similar issues. I posted wrong earlier, my old rig didn't like sound blaster either, but the on-board generic sound worked fine on that. Ordered some new memory to see if that's the issue, it's the only hardware that's been on both machines.

Afraid that's not it, it has an onboard creative card, tried a pci card with the same results. Works ok, but when running several programs at once it will BSOD on me.

Re the Audigy card ,I almost went crazy installing an audigy tried everything before I called creative they wound up sending me an install cd that worked it was different drivers that they sent me the OS was XP FWIW

Thanks Polo, if the new memory isn't the problem (don't think it will be, but I needed an excuse to tell the wife so I could go from 4 sticks of cheap 512 Kingston valueram to some decent dual channel stuff :) ) I'll call Creative, good advice.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.