Layer Break Explanation

JuJuBean

I have a quick question everyone. Why are "Layer Breaks" only an issue for burnt discs and not

pressed ones? For example, imgbrn attempts to select the best possible section to perform a LB (poor, good, excellent).

Most of the time, however, I only see "Good"; ]=. That said, is this even an issue anymore? I have been reading about layer breaks in the forums... but I'm still not quite understanding. I couldn't imagine experiencing a jump in the screen due to a layer break. Please explain [=

Also, before I finally purchased a new DVD drive, I've been backing up my music using my slimline laptop as an emergency. (All discs passed verify, but should I still worry?).

Verbatims only [=

There is a layer break also for pressed discs. When you read a DL pressed discs, the original layer break can/will be saved in the .mds file.

Most Movie DL discs have the main movie on the sectors (part of the disc) where the potential layer break occurs. So if the layer break is to be in the main movie (or in a movie part) the star is poor.

Try to build from a Disney DVD or a DVD with several short episodes and you'll see the "good" stars also. The better stars are in the parts where in doesn't have to cut in the movie parts, but instead between physical files.

In theory if your stand alone player supports the seamless option, you will never notices a layer break in a movie part.

What's the brand of the slim line drive?

Also, the data was burned directly from a MiniSd card to the DVD+R and it burned/verified successfully.

Is this a bad thing? Should I have just copied the data to the hard drive first (mp3s), or does it not

matter as long as the DVDs burned/verified successfully?

• 1 month later...

I don't think it matters as long as the source is able to provide enough data on demand by the burner. You can even burn an ISO or files off a network drive, external hd, etc. It doesn't matter as long as the source is able to keep pace in providing the burner with data and not to cause any buffer underruns.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.