Is there a "best" way to verify readability of a disc?

laserfan

Alot of times I buy a commercial DVD or BD disc and then don't watch it for a while. I would like to unwrap the disc when I get it and then test it to make sure it is fully "readable" so that, if not, I can exchange it at the place-of-purchase. There are at least 3 programs I already have on my PC that appear to be able to do this:

1. Read with ImgBurn i.e. try to copy the disc to my hard drive and see if there are any errors in doing so

2. Perform a ScanDisc with Nero DiscSpeed 5 (the latest, I think)

3. Use DVDInfoPro and select the CRC Read Errors test

Does anyone here know the difference(s) between these programs' methods of reading the discs? Is any "test method" superior to any other? Is there a better way, or better program, than any of the above?

:wacko::blink:

They're all the same - I've just snooped on the I/O from the other two to double check. (* Assuming Nero DiscSpeed 5's 'ScanDisc' test is done in 'Read test' mode and not 'C1/C2 - PI/PO test' mode)

Using Verify mode would be better than Read mode... no reason to make an image if you don't need it!

Don't forget that commercial DVD Video disc can have (or had, I'm going back 5 years now) bad sectors on them on purpose as part of the copy protection. Those bad sectors would of course make a dumb 'read' of the disc fail.

They're all the same - I've just snooped on the I/O from the other two to double check... Using Verify mode would be better than Read mode... no reason to make an image if you don't need it!

I had looked quickly at Verify but didn't think to uncheck the "Verify image" box--now I see what you are saying! Running a Verify (Against Image File: No) right now using ImgBurn!

Yeah I knew about the "bad sectors" thing but am glad you mentioned it again. I really appreciate your response to this LUK! :teehee:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.