Alternative to Daemon Tools

Hiker

Apparently the SPTC driver that comes with Daemon Tools lite has been screwing up my DVD burns. Since uninstalling DT and then disabling Duplex Secures driver all is well again.

Do the other virtual drive programs such as PowerIso have the same driver?

TIA

Edited by Hiker

I tried installing PowerIso and didn't get any any warnings from ImgBurn but had the same bad results in which the program hung up around 10%. Uninstalling with Revo Uninstaller (advanced mode) didn't help in another attempt to burn. I then did a system restore which got me back Daemon Tools. I then re-disabled the driver and all appears to be well again.

If anyone else uses Daemon Tools and needs this work around here are the directions to disable Duplex Secure's driver...

A: If your system has some problems with SPTD installation you can do as follows:

If your system is already running then go to step 2 directly. Otherwise start from step 1.

Step 1. Boot in safe mode and press ESC key when you see on bottom line of display: "Press ESC to cancel loading SPTD.sys". This will abort loading of SPTD layer.

Step 2. Find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\ Services\sptd" registry key in REGEDIT and set DWORD Start value to 4 (i.e. disabled).

Step 3. Reboot again in normal mode and check if your issue is solved.

To reenable SPTD restore the DWORD Start value back to '0' and reboot your computer.

If you want to remove the driver completely...

A: To remove SPTD, simply download SPTD setup file "SPTDinst-v174-x86.exe" for Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista (32-bit) [596,536 bytes] and execute it.

In dialog that appears press "Uninstall" button and then SPTD will remove itself from your Windows installation.

If you want to install it again then execute the same setup file and press "Install".

Edited by Hiker

Alcohol 52% uses the SPTD, I know that much. But, I've not had any problems with my burns with it installed, though.

You could try SlySoft's Virtual CloneDrive. I believe it's the software LUK uses (Though, I'm not sure of that.) and it's freeware like Alcohol 52%. I don't know, though, if it uses SPTD or not.

Alcohol 52% uses the SPTD, I know that much. But, I've not had any problems with my burns with it installed, though.

You could try SlySoft's Virtual CloneDrive. I believe it's the software LUK uses (Though, I'm not sure of that.) and it's freeware like Alcohol 52%. I don't know, though, if it uses SPTD or not.

Thanks

I'd like to use another free program to mount iso rather than abling, disabling the driver but I'm real tired of experimenting. I may try your suggestion at a later date.

BTW, if it matters I have XP Pro and a Phillips CD/DVD RW SDVD 8820 with the latest firmware.

Edited by Hiker

If you want just a simple double-click to mount an image, SlySoft's Virtual CloneDrive is the way to go.

Supports all common image formats such as ISO, BIN, CCD

Supports up to 8 virtual drives at the same time

Easy to use - just double-click an image file to mount as a drive

Virtual CloneDrive is freeware, you may use it at no cost.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.