Backing up Windows XP System C:

shermans

Hi

I have searched the forum and FAQs and cannot find any suitable threads on this topic. Hopefully, someone can point me in the right direction.

My Windows XP system has started to become unstable and I have had near heart failure a couple of times recently ! I am in the process of cleaning the register, clearing out files, defragmenting and other basic house-work, but above all else I really want to back up the Windows XP system before it is too late, in case anything more serious happens. I doubt if it is a hardware problem - probably too little memory (only 760 Mb.) - but the priority must be to do a back-up.

I use ImgBurn regularly for backing up my data, and assumed that there would be some clues as to how best to make an image of the hard disc for back-up purposes, but I cannot find any guides on the subject.

Presumably, I need some other software to create the image and then use ImgBurn to burn a DVD from it ???? I am only guessing that must be the way it works. So can anyone recommend a simple, preferably freeware, way to achieve this ?

I am actually not quite that irresponsible - I do use Microsoft's Back-up utility to make a back-up onto a second hard disc, but recovering from that would still require me to re-install Windows XP in order to access the back-up, and I am not convinced that the recovery would be that good. So presumably am image would be much more reliable.

Any help would be most appreciated.

There is a freeware version of Macrium Reflect that will create an image backup. I'm not sure if it runs under XP or not, though. Be sure to create the rescue disc, though, if it does. Otherwise, you'll need to reinstall XP, then install Macrium to restore the image. I've actually had to do this before with Acronis TrueImage, the software I used to use, because its rescue media had stopped recognizing the USB HD it had recognized before.

I suppose you could even download the 30 day fully functioning trial version of TrueImage 2011, create the image, create the rescue media, and have your backup that way. The rescue media should still work even after 30 days, though, I think, the trial version of the media only does rescues, not creating images from the rescue media like the paid for version does.

I think your main problem is going to be to find software that still works under XP, as that version of Windows is 9 years old.

If your OS drive or your back up drive is a Seagate you can use Seagate Disk Wizard (free) which is a strip down version of Acronis True Image. I also have XP and I've used it successfully to back up my C drive to an external drive but haven't tried a restore yet.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard

I believe it also works with Maxor drives although they may have a dedicated program

There is a freeware version of Macrium Reflect that will create an image backup. I'm not sure if it runs under XP or not, though.

I can confirm that the free version of Reflect runs just fine on XP (Home, specifically). Ran it on 2 of the PCs at home, prior to upgrading to Win7.

Jim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.