Burning to a BD-RE DL Disk

catman915

For DVD+R DL, not DVD-R DL.

You can't move the LB position on DVD-R DL, that's why nobody uses them.

The LB is a phyiscal thing and so it's always there. If you don't move it, it'll just be in the default position.

So software doesn't *have* to move it anywhere, it just does (for other reasons I won't go into).

For DVD+R DL, not DVD-R DL.

You can't move the LB position on DVD-R DL, that's why nobody uses them.

The LB is a phyiscal thing and so it's always there. If you don't move it, it'll just be in the default position.

So software doesn't *have* to move it anywhere, it just does (for other reasons I won't go into).

Got it, thanks for the info.

They did away with the whole layerbreak concept, now it's just one big disc.

That actually is intriguing and I would like to know more about the specs for bluray DL, any good links?

I am curious to know how multimedia is handled; meaning is there are 'seamless' transition to the next layer on bluray video, how is playback handled on a DL? How will video work on more than two layers? Third , and fourth layer (when that kind of bluray format is available for consumers).

Edited by Rincewind

The LBA/sector numbers are consecutive between layers (just as they've always been actually).

The software doesn't even have to know multiple layers exists. You can read/write from start to finish (over multiple layers) by knowing the start LBA (i.e. 0) and the end LBA.

All it takes is a tiny bit of buffering to get around the time taken for a player to refocus the laser when it reaches the end of a layer.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.