300+ dud disks.... that all verified fine!! yet are unreadable

timeless

Pretty much as topic states.

over the past 6 months lve been burning and verifying disks perfectly however for some unknown reason l cannot copy the data off all folders show as empty yet data does seem to be on the disk. the only settings lve changed are the ones pertaining to speed of each burn.

the format of the disks states CDFS... which lm sure is the reason why l cant read them and am somewhat upset at the fact that the disks dont seem to be readable even though they verified properly.

what can l do to read the data? its extremely important l access it.

just an update, it seems my main PC cannot read any of the disks lve burned since installing ImgBurn yet all verified correctly. all have CDFS file system but lve just managed to get to my laptop which seems to be able to read them.

the only difference between my laptop and PC is that my PC is using Windows7 Pro (was XP originally 6 months back) and my Laptop runs Windows7 Home Premium, so lm extremely confused as to why when l chuck a verified disk into my PC l see folders but the names are somewhat different for example: say a folder called "example" was burned onto disk, when reading under my PC it seems to come out with something random like this "Example_" or to a similar effect tho all folders will show as empty, but l noticed that when l put the disks in my laptop they seem to work as intended.. which brings me to the question... Why cant the computer that burned them read them? could it be down to region settings? because thats the only significant difference between my laptop and PC.

Load the program up on the PC that you say can't read the discs.

Switch to 'Read' mode ('Create image file from disc') and put one of the problem discs in the drive.

Leave it for a while so the drive and program initialise the disc and then get a screenshot for me.

ok its weird, lve just tried again and its working now, however l had this issue once before and assumed it was just making coasters.. originally it stated was stating the file system was CDFS but now its stating UDF which is what l assumed it would be under as the files are large. but things are showing up like they are supposed to be, which brings me to the question why would it not read earlier but a few hours later work fine.

next time it happens l will take screen caps, however the disks l tried earlier are working now, altho l managed to get the data off on my laptop but lm still confused as to why things were being weird.

strange.. the only thing is l didnt reboot, tho l did chuck in a CDR l had burned before trying the DVDs again after reading this post. tho l didnt test the ones l originally wanted to access mainly because l put the case away again and it was an agro to get it back out.. tho the disk l tried was one l burned recently that l popped in and it seemed to have the same issue.

windows really is so weird... i have had some freak outs with discs (data and media both) coming back later as unreadable/ blank, etc even though when i burned them, they verified correctly in imgburn and i did md5 checks on files, etc.

then i come back later on again after they were said to be unreadable duds, and some of these discs really are okay !?

sometimes i wish i hadn't tossed so many discs out that i thought were bad burns or that had total data loss, since in the end it was probably just a windows hiccup.

a lot of times i can't even get windows to tell me file system or anything when it is in a state of telling me a disc is bad, sometimes it even goes into freeze up reading a disc like it does on a really scratched up disc after the kids got a hold of it, even if it is unmarred.

then reboot ... or wait a few months ... and it plays / reads fine

windows is so weird

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.