Incredibly difficult download process

pgoelz

Ok, I'm sorry that my first post here is to complain, but I have always believed that if I don't speak out on something that is broken it will never get fixed.

I just spent a very frustrating 10+ minutes trying to figure out how to download the most recent version of ImgBurn from the official web site. With all the ads and cr*p on the official web site, I found it near impossible to figure out which of the dozens of DOWNLOAD NOW buttons actually referred to Image Burn. I finally found it but I can 100% guarantee that many people will end up downloading something they didn't intend and wondering why they didn't get Image Burn. Or, given the similarity between Image Burn and some of the ads on the site, maybe never realizing they didn't get what they thought they were getting.

Yes, I know why the ads are there. But while I fully understand the need for income, I think the Image Burn site is beyond broken. I was literally seconds away from giving up and keeping the older version I already have. And I can state that I will think twice before I upgrade again. I am a computer literate engineer, not a newbie. But all that buys me here is the ability to know that I need to be cautious.

Sorry,

Paul

I just spent a very frustrating 10+ minutes trying to figure out how to download the most recent version of ImgBurn from the official web site. With all the ads and cr*p on the official web site, I found it near impossible to figure out which of the dozens of DOWNLOAD NOW buttons actually referred to Image Burn .... I am a computer literate engineer, not a newbie. But all that buys me here is the ability to know that I need to be cautious

As a non-newbie computer-literate engineer you will probably have already realised that your problem report is incomplete : there are multiple download mirrors listed on the ImgBurn Download Page - which one are you annoyed by ?

As a non-newbie, you probably know that most of those download mirrors are major well-known "shareware/freeware software download" websites, which have to support huge traffic flows, and which therefore resort to the hideous (I agree with you) advertising business model to generate revenue with which to pay the bills. I run software which cuts out most of those adverts, but even then I have to be careful not to click on some flashing "Download Here Now!" button which actually links to yet another stupid registry-cleaner-speed-up-your-PC package instead of the package I'm trying to find. Them's the breaks ....

Obviously, the only mirror site for which Lightning UK has influence over the advertisement blizzard is his own site. On the ImgBurn Download page I linked above, the last two mirrors in the list link directly to the executable download - with no further buttons, banners, adverts or intermediate landing pages to negotiate.

[ahem] ...

@LUK, while I'm still not sure which page Paul was complaining about, I've just noticed on the ImgBurn Download Page that above the list of primary download mirrors, in a page area headed "Ads by Google" (an area my eyes automatically do not normally see :rolleyes:), there are two ordinary-looking links (blue text, underlined - at least on my PC) which have the link text "Download Imgburn" and "Imgburn Free" but which lead to a page of apparently completely unrelated Google ads for god-knows-what.

That's not helpful ......

No but Google puts whatever it wants to in any of the ad blocks and I just let it do its thing.

It serves as a way of weeding out people who really shouldn't be using ImgBurn to start with ;)

How and where you download the program hasn't changed in years (the website hasn't changed in years). Even if it takes a while the first time you go looking for it, I'm pretty sure you should remember the direct path the 2nd time round.

For me, on my screen, it's actually very easy to follow. People with low res screens might find it harder as the layout gets squished.

No but Google puts whatever it wants to in any of the ad blocks and I just let it do its thing.

It serves as a way of weeding out people who really shouldn't be using ImgBurn to start with ;)

How and where you download the program hasn't changed in years (the website hasn't changed in years). Even if it takes a while the first time you go looking for it, I'm pretty sure you should remember the direct path the 2nd time round.

For me, on my screen, it's actually very easy to follow. People with low res screens might find it harder as the layout gets squished.

If your web site works for you, that is great. It didn't work well for me. Do you REALLY want to pose an intelligence test for those of us who find your software attractive? Sorry I bothered you all.

FWIW, this is the third attempt at a reply. Haven't seen the other two yet. I'm either being moderated or there is a serious cache issue somewhere.

Paul

I'm sorry.... I truly like your software but I take offence at that attitude. I was just trying to point out that your download process is far more confusing than it needs to be. That response makes me feel like I stumbled into a good old boys club and disturbed the locals. If that was indeed the intent, I won't bother you again. If not, you might want to re-consider how you treat newcomers. We are, after all, customers.

Paul

Can you be a customer for something that's provided free of charge? Who's doing who the favour here?

You don't need to take things (me) so seriously, I certainly don't.

I'm happy to help people like you (newcomers) all day long when you have problems with my program, I'm just a little blunt with people that feel they have to moan about one thing or another.

Normally I just ignore threads like this because they never do anyone any good. Now I wonder why I responded to this one... silly me!

Can you be a customer for something that's provided free of charge? Who's doing who the favour here?

You don't need to take things (me) so seriously, I certainly don't.

I'm happy to help people like you (newcomers) all day long when you have problems with my program, I'm just a little blunt with people that feel they have to moan about one thing or another.

Normally I just ignore threads like this because they never do anyone any good. Now I wonder why I responded to this one... silly me!

If you read the original post you would see that I was trying to provide some feedback re: something I felt was confusing about your web site and the download process. The number and placement of the Google ad blocks in your page and many/most of the mirrors and the similarity of the resulting ads to your software made things very confusing. It was meant as FEEDBACK, not "moaning". The intent was to perhaps help make the download process less confusing. Sorry I bothered you.

I am your customer/user whether or not I pay for your freely offered software. If not for users like me, why do you write it and make it available? Yes, you are doing ME the favour. Should that prevent me from posting this thread? If so, sorry I bothered you. It was meant as constructive criticism.

I was not complaining about your software (I LIKE your software and consider it excellent). I was "complaining" (if you will) about the process of downloading it.

I'm truly sorry I started this thread.... the original intent seems to have gotten completely lost. I won't do it again, I promise.

Best regards,

Paul

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.