Found a use for Memorex!

dbminter

I amazingly found a use for Memorex DVD+R's! :o I've had a Lightscribe burner in this PC for 2 years now, in May, and had never used that function before. So, I wanted to test it and see what kind of results I could get. I found some Memorex DVD+R at Staples that were half off. So, I got 20 test discs for $10. The discs themselves are the usual worthless Memorex CMC crap, but, the Lightscribe side of the discs actually worked fine. Wasn't all that impressed with the results, though.

So, it is possible to find uses for Memorex media. :)

Did you used the Enhanced contrast mode and the Best option for quality? It will take longer to print it but the result is much better.

The Maxell discs I have uses the same CMC dye but I never had problems burning them with my ASUS DRW-2014L1 1.01

I edit the images for label use in a photo editor, cut out what I need than make them B&W and increase the contrast, make an outline to the object and save them as transparent gif.

The secret for a good Lightscribe label is to use high contrast images becouse it uses only black and gray tones to represent the colours.

I used Best, I remember that. Don't remember if there was an option for Enchanced contrast. I just used the options that were selected in Nero 10's CoverDesigner, as I believe it's the only thing I had available for burning Lightscribe.

Actually, my unimpressed results were for one field I could not change the outcome of it. It always looked the same, even though the Font was the same as the other field in the form. It burned too thick and wasn't that legible when compared to the other field.

Open the LightScribe Control Panel from Sys Tray (or Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe), there you'll find the Contrast settings, select: This will make your labels darker,...

For text I always use the Field\Custom field, the properties are Alignment to Center and tick Fixed Size. Than if I want another field with the same layout font, simply duplicate the field and edit the text.

Hope that helps.

I don't need to make the burn darker. My problem is one field is already too dark! :)

As for copying and duplicating fields, I tried that in Nero 10 CoverDesiger, and it still printed the field too dark on the disk. I don't know what the issue is, but, it must be Nero's fault.

The Maxell discs I have uses the same CMC dye but I never had problems burning them with my ASUS DRW-2014L1 1.01

My main problem with CMC is, well, burning completely. :lol: But, I am also worried about how well they'll read in the future. I just don't trust CMC as far as I can throw their factories. :)

Found another use for these CMC Memorex DVD+R discs. My mother wanted to see some stuff on DVD to watch later. So, I shrunk down the contents to fit to a DVD-5 and used these CMC discs. They should be used and then discarded relatively quickly enough that they should still be readable. They may playback with skips, though. If that's the case, I can just move the contents to rewritable DVD's.

This CMC is all I can get here on Maxell and Memorex LightScribe's. I had sometime TDK's but can't remenber what dye used, that time I didn't care about.

Can't say about reliability in time either as I just give them to others. Some weddings and baptismal footage.

Try find a firmware update for your mother's DVD player.

I want to soon try some Verbatim MKM DVD+R DL's that have LightScribe on them. The Amazon.com reviews say that some LiteOn drives won't write to the LightScribe side of those discs. Of course, my LightScribe capable drive is a LiteOn. :) But, if the LightScribe doesn't work, I can still use them if they're MKM and not something like CMC. ;)

Found another use! :) While I don't trust these discs to last for any extended length of time after burning, they're good for some temporary backups to discs since I've run out of DVD-R and DVD+R DL. They can temporarily store the contents I will put to DVD-R or DVD+R DL when the order for them I placed today arrives in about a week. Even CMC SHOULD last for just a week! :lol:

• 1 month later...

I guess my only downsides to using LightScribe are 2. First, they stink to high heaven! :horse: I mean, surely they could have devised a much less olfactory method of doing it. :) The other is the label surface picks up fingerprints too easily. Again, I would think they could have devised a way where this wouldn't be so prevalent.

• 5 months later...
they stink to high heaven!

Further, this statement would concern me: the "stink" you refer to can only be particles in the air which are part of the lightscribe-burning process. I would have to surmise that such residue might also eventually coat the innards of one's drive, particularly the laser lens.

I have numerous LG Lightscribe drives, though I have never tried that feature, and now I never will--thanks!

I would guess that the "scent particles" are thrown-up from the surface of the disc only when the label side's being burned, and since the disc is upside-down at that point the particles drop and/or are propelled around the inside of the drive until the process is over.

But once you've removed the disc and set it aside, there should be no further particles created to worry about.

I'd be curious: If you Lightscribe a disc, then wipe the label side with a perfectly clean cloth, do you see any residue?

Edited by laserfan

I would guess what you'd see is the same sort of "temporary" "residue" you'd see if you used some kind of 90% isopropyl alcohol that you'd get if you used it to clean off the data side. As far as I'd know, there would be no particles because the actual label that is being burned is contained underneath that top clear layer on a Lightscribe disc.

Dunno about Lightscribe discs myself, but you said it "stinks" and that can only mean a residue of some sort. Even if there is a "clear layer" that protects from the material that forms the label impression, it must be burning a little to throw-off a smell. I'd still have to guess that it would fog the laser lens over time...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.