ImgBurn is one giant bug

rfjason

Let's get right to the point: ImgBurn doesn't work. It isn't functional. It isn't well thought out. The people who made this thing should be tried for crimes against humanity and found guilty.

I tried to burn a DVD of some files I wanted to back up. Seems simple enough, right? Bought some DL DVD+R discs, downloaded ImgBurn, installed on Win7 Ultimate 32-bit on my brand new Core i5 with 3gb. Everything went fine. UI is a little stupid, but no problem -- I can still drag files into the file list dialog. Click the burn button ... where's the burn button? Nothing says burn. Oh, it's that three-symbol file-arrow-disc not-a-button button that you didn't know was clickable until you hovered over it. No problem. Click "burn".

Get about half way through before I get a big nasty ImgBurn error dialog with all sorts of technical details that don't mean a damn thing to me. Wow, looks like something went horribly wrong. Click OK. ImgBurn asks me if I want to finalize the disc even though the write failed. Now, here's the important thing: it doesn't give me a clear indicator of how much of the burn is done, whether the files burned are usable, or if the disc itself is a total loss. So, I guess and click yes to finalize.

Sit while ImgBurn tries to finalize the disc. This wouldn't be such a problem, except that there's no way to cancel this operation. None. There's a power button in the lower-right, but that doesn't appear to be clickable. Nor does it give a good indicator of what it's for. Does it shut down the program? Does it shut down the computer? It's a power button icon, so it must be something related to shutting something down. But nothing happens if I click it. Not even a mousedown/mouseup visualization. Nothing. Can't close the window with the window chrome close button, alt+F4, File > Exit. Nothing. I'm completely held hostage by this unbelievable pile of junk.

So I sit. And sit. FOR 45 MINUTES I SIT WAITING FOR IMGBURN TO GIVE UP AFTER 3 RETRIES TO FINALIZE WITH NO WAY TO CANCEL THIS OPERATION. And then comes the icing on the cake: when it's all done, out of nowhere a sexkitten voice screams "OOHHHHH NNNOOOOOOOOOO" and scares the crap out of me. Well played.

At least the uninstall seems to work ok.

I sincerely hope the board moderator removes this post and bans me so that I will know that everyone involved with ImgBurn is as big a weenie as the idiot developers who cranked out their junk and dared to call it "software." Prove me right, friends.

Click the burn button ... where's the burn button? Nothing says burn. Oh, it's that three-symbol file-arrow-disc not-a-button button that you didn't know was clickable until you hovered over it. No problem. Click "burn".

Obviously you're someone that needs words on all buttons. I think you're the first person in 10 years that hasn't been able to put 2 and 2 together and make 4.

No doubt you also had trouble locating the 'Start' button in Vista / 7 after Microsoft removed the text from it.

Maybe I'll think about adding some text to those flat buttons for 'challenged' people such as yourself.

Get about half way through before I get a big nasty ImgBurn error dialog with all sorts of technical details that don't mean a damn thing to me.

It's not supposed to mean anything to you, it means something to us though and you'll learn from what we tell you (or what you can find via a quick search using Google etc).

Sit while ImgBurn tries to finalize the disc. This wouldn't be such a problem, except that there's no way to cancel this operation. None.

That's correct. The drive is doing stuff, not the program. Short of pulling the power cable out the back of the drive, there's no way to make it stop. (Excluding the whole 'Retrying (x of x)...' part, which I've now changed)

There's a power button in the lower-right, but that doesn't appear to be clickable. Nor does it give a good indicator of what it's for. Does it shut down the program? Does it shut down the computer? It's a power button icon, so it must be something related to shutting something down. But nothing happens if I click it. Not even a mousedown/mouseup visualization. Nothing. Can't close the window with the window chrome close button, alt+F4, File > Exit. Nothing. I'm completely held hostage by this unbelievable pile of junk.

The 'Stop' button has looked like that since about 2001 when DVD Decrypter was first released. Yeah ok so it's not the perfect representation of 'Stop', but it's probably the best I could find at the time.

I'll work on making it look a bit better and react to a mouse over event (change to a 'hot' image).

Normally, clicking the Stop/Cancel button should bring up a dialog box asking you to confirm that's what you want to do. You were very unfortunate to run into a rare situation (on your first use of the program!) where the program already knew to terminate the burn (due to your drive erroring out) and that stopped the box coming up. Normally you wouldn't have to sit through 45 mins of finalisation (your drive must have been trying to do something with the remainder of the disc) and therefore have no reason to try and cancel again.

I have almost 0 failures so it's not something I've ever run into myself. In the 5 years ImgBurn has been alive, nobody has ever mentioned this issue or I would of course have fixed it ages ago. So even though you obviously didn't mean to help the project in any way, you have. Thanks.

I've now disabled the automatic retries within the sync cache/close track/close session/finalise disc functions when the burn has already failed/been cancelled. Again, thanks for bringing that to my attention.

And any other software works flawless with the same disc and burner combination, right? Unless, you checked this, you have no reason to blame ImgBurn.

You shouldn't blame ImgBurn regardless, it can't do anything about a drive erroring out during a burn. 99.9% of the time, that's a problem between the drive/firmware/media combo being used.

• 2 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.