Burning Data DVD for Windows & OSX

randomvector

Hi

I am new to using ImgBurn, I previously use Toast Titanium on the Mac. I am backing up various file types from an external Hard Drive to standard DVD-R discs (Maxell). I initially used the default settings with ImgBurn but came across an issue when burning a 4.3GB rar file when Imgburn told there was not enough room on the disc. This was because I was using ISO9660 setting. I have since switched to UDF as I found that using ISO9660 was shortening the filenames as well. Was this the right choice selecting UDF (1.02). I am after the filesystem, which will give me the most amount of space on the disc, support long filenames (preserving original filenames) and can be read on MAC OSX and Windows (I am using Windows 7). I have tested the UDF disc and they can be read on MAC OSX but I don't want to select something, which down the line cannot be read as I am essential archiving data to DVDs at the moment. Also how do I have close the disc or is this done automatically?

I attached a screenshot of the settings I am using. Any guidance would be great.

Thanks

post-37809-0-43948600-1298840941.jpg

Down the line all forms ISO, JOLIET, UDF should still be readable and you can select to have all three filesystems on your disc, ISO9660 + joliet + UDF.

As for the restrictions on ISO9660, go to advanced then the restrictions tab, and you can set a higher level of character support on ISO9660:

post-35670-0-67667100-1298841332.png

post-35670-0-80070700-1298841420.png

Edited by Rincewind

Down the line all forms ISO, JOLIET, UDF should still be readable and you can select to have all three filesystems on your disc, ISO9660 + joliet + UDF.

As for the restrictions on ISO9660, go to advanced then the restrictions tab, and you can set a higher level of character support on ISO9660:

Is there one format, which allows more data to be written (on standard 4.7GB DVD) than the other?

Also I found that the ISO9660 with restrictions converted my filenames to capitals will this happen if I de-restrict file name length as you suggested?

Not that I know of. You can however overburn, but you do that at your own risk. Imgburn will warn you if you are attempting to burn more than the capacity of your disc. For DVD-R the capacity is 4,707,319,808 bytes, DVD+R is 4,700,372,992 bytes.

I also use ISO9660 with level x, and I don't get any of my files in all caps only, but that is perhaps because I also add Joliet and UDF. Maybe if burning only ISO9660 does that? I'm not sure.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.