U.S. statistics for the Year 1906:

Movie Junkie

U.S. statistics for the Year 1906:

The average life expectancy in the U.S. was 47 years.

Only 14 percent of the homes in the U.S. had a bathtub.

Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.

A three-minute call from Denver to New York City cost eleven dollars.

There were only 8,000 cars in the U.S., and only 144 miles of paved roads.

The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.

Alabama, Mississippi, Iowa, and Tennessee were each more heavily populated than California.

With a mere 1.4 million people, California was only the 21st most populous state in the Union.

The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower!

The average wage in the U.S. was 22 cents per hour.

The average U.S. worker made between $200 and $400 per year .

A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year, a dentist $2,500 per year, a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per year, and a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.

More than 95 percent of all births in the U.S. took place at HOME.

Ninety percent of all U.S. doctors had NO COLLEGE EDUCATION!

Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which were condemned in the press AND the government as "substandard."

Sugar cost four cents a pound.

Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.

Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.

Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used borax or egg yolks for shampoo.

Canada passed a law that prohibited poor people from entering into their country for any reason.

Five leading causes of death in the U.S. were:

1. Pneumonia and influenza

2. Tuberculosis

3. Diarrhea

4. Heart disease

5. Stroke

The American flag had 45 stars. Arizona, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Hawaii, and Alaska hadn't been admitted to the Union yet.

The population of Las Vegas, Nevada, was only 30!!!!

Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and ice tea hadn't been invented yet.

There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day.

Two out of every 10 U.S. adults couldn't read or write.

Only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school.

Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at the local corner drugstores. Back then pharmacists said, "Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach and bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health."

Eighteen percent of households in the U.S. had at least one full-time servant or domestic help.

There were about 230 reported murders in the ENTIRE U.S.A. !

Now I forwarded this from someone else without typing it myself, and sent it to you and others all over the United States, possibly the world, in a matter of seconds!

Try to imagine what it may be like in another 100 years.

there were 15 murders in a year in a 6 square block area where I used to live in NYC not including people shot by cops. The amount of shootings I couldn't count gunfire was a nightly thing, you could almost tell what caliber gun after awhile

there were 15 murders in a year in a 6 square block area where I used to live in NYC not including people shot by cops. The amount of shootings I couldn't count gunfire was a nightly thing, you could almost tell what caliber gun after awhile
There have been over 230 murders since the beginning of the year here in Philadelphia.

There have been over 230 murders since the beginning of the year here in Philadelphia.

thats all of Philly ,I'm talking an area less than a 1/4 mile square it was getting nuts

where did you get the stats from MJ ? , dont thy have the 2006 ones ? theyd make a good comparison

The average life expectancy in the U.S. was 47 years . still is where Polo lived by the sound of it

There were only 8,000 cars in the U.S., and only 144 miles of paved roads. in 2006, thats equal to the surrounding roads to Magic Kingdom in Fl .

The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph now thats the limit in McDonalds drive thrus

More than 95 percent of all births in the U.S. took place at HOME still is in 2006 , but on TV now instead ! E.R , House M.D , Greys anatomy

Ninety percent of all U.S. doctors had NO COLLEGE EDUCATION! still havent, but they all watched E.R , House M.D , Greys anatomy

Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at the local corner drugstores. now you dont even have to walk thru the drug stores door , you can buy them on the sidewalk :lol:

Eighteen percent of households in the U.S. had at least one full-time servant or domestic help. now its 90% , the servant is called Mom or wife

There were about 230 reported murders in the ENTIRE U.S.A. ! thats now equal to the amount of deaths caused by food from McDonalds in the U.S.A , and there in 80 odd other countries as well now !!

Sorry but the stats came from an email that was forwarded to me so I don't know where they came from.

Edit

I just did a search and found the stats here. This same information was at a number of other sites as well.

Edited by Movie Junkie

The average life expectancy in the U.S. was 47 years . still is where Polo lived by the sound of it

I lived in what was really agreat neighborhood some years back but drugs ,crime in general took its toll .It was a hardworking middle class area but welfare and the various gov.programs introduced a population of people that if they had to go to work it would kill them .Landlords no longer screen the tenants ,if you had first months rent and security you were in .The neighborhood would look like it was recovering one day and then you would see it had slipped just a little farther down and the decent people there were moving 1 by 1 when they had enough a pity really but a common story across every city in the US

Probably not as funny as volvo's version tho eh ? :lol:

@polo - sounds like your better off in the sun now mate :thumbup:

there are more guns for sale here than anywhere in NYC every pawn shop has a display case for used firearms and there are A LOT of pawn shops ,not to mention the huge gun shows and ads in the papers .Down here its the cops who are trigger happy there's been a bunch of police shootings where you wonder why they shot at all. lots of outrage and law suits over it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.