multisession - another 2 pennies

Dmitry N

10 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have a multisession feature?

I do not understand why I'm not allowed to answer in existing topic therefore start another new one. With poll at last.

Those 2 pennies:

None of rewritable media allows to store data forever. By definition. All those RWs, HDDs and Flashes do allow to rewrite the data. Accidentally or intentionally. Incremental backup to multisession DVD-R is a great thing. Unfortunately without this cool software. :(

I do not understand why I'm not allowed to answer in existing topic therefore start another new one. With poll at last.

Those 2 pennies:

None of rewritable media allows to store data forever. By definition. All those RWs, HDDs and Flashes do allow to rewrite the data. Accidentally or intentionally. Incremental backup to multisession DVD-R is a great thing. Unfortunately without this cool software. :(

Hmmm... Your question is a little cryptic but I'll try my best.

In my opinion, (and just my opinion), incremental backups to CD or DVD is a painfully pointless exercise. If you need to backup critical data files, you can download free software from places like Sourceforge or even the Microsoft website that will compare the new data with old data and overwrite automatically it - if you choose to do so. A freeware cron/scheduler tool would also work if you know a few basic DOS commands.

Personally, my backups go to HD. It's easier, faster, safer and more convenient. I keep 2 copies of everything I want on different drives on different computers. Files I *really* need to keep safe are stored on 4 different machines. Backing up files to an optical disk is an archaic, unreliable and slow way of preserving your data.

<opinion mode off>

There are not only a critical data. Raw photofiles from the last weekend for example. It is much easier to burn & forget. Then pick up on demand. Storing them on rewritables CAN cause the loss by viruses, filesystem errors, unintended deleting.

There are not only a critical data. Raw photofiles from the last weekend for example. It is much easier to burn & forget.

Burn and forget? Sorry, but this just isn't a compelling argument for creating and installing a device driver that causes chaos with the way the program functions. InCD (part of the Nero package that allows multisession burning) created havoc with this program and its predecessor. That said, a blank CD is worth, what, around 15 cents? You could lash out and spend a few cents to compliment this FREE software or do what the rest of the business world does; keep your backups on HD. I'm pretty sure Google doesn't use CDs for backups.

Then pick up on demand. Storing them on rewritables CAN cause the loss by viruses, filesystem errors, unintended deleting.

Ever heard of disk rot? I suggest you look it up. As for the three examples you've given above, they are management problems outside the scope of this software. To be brutally honest, if you accidentally delete a file, that's your problem. If you get a virus, that's your problem. If your harddrive dies or gets errors, that's your problem.

FWIW, I run 8 machines here with around 30TB of data. This isn't a pissing contest, just the facts. I do backups to HD because it's the best way to do it and, honestly, the only way to do it. If you want to keep your photos safe, go buy an external HD or something. Multisession writing to CD or DVD was fabulous 10 years ago. These days, there are better and cheaper options available.

Burn and forget? Sorry, but this just isn't a compelling argument for creating and installing a device driver that causes chaos with the way the program functions.

No one compels. This is just a suggestion.

That said, a blank CD is worth, what, around 15 cents?

There is a mess of them with the lapse of time.

they are management problems outside the scope of this software.

These "management problems" arise when you use rewritables. By definition, as I said earlier.

To be brutally honest, if you accidentally delete a file, that's your problem. If you get a virus, that's your problem. If your harddrive dies or gets errors, that's your problem.

Awesome arguments! :lol: Yes, these are my problems, but I need a solution once and for all!

These days, there are better and cheaper options available.

So what are you doing at this forum? Why do you use ImgBurn? Why do you even own optical drive?

No one compels. This is just a suggestion.

Here's a hint: If you want something implemented, have compelling argument. Logic is hard sometimes, isn't it?

That said, a blank CD is worth, what, around 15 cents?

There is a mess of them with the lapse of time.

English is the preferred language in this forum. Your responses should be simple and to the point. This isn't a cryptic crossword in the New York Times.

To be brutally honest, if you accidentally delete a file, that's your problem. If you get a virus, that's your problem. If your harddrive dies or gets errors, that's your problem.

Awesome arguments! :lol: Yes, these are my problems, but I need a solution once and for all!

Congratulations. You have redefined the word "idiot". You have simultaneously ignored the true purpose of this software and ignored my own backup suggestion, including the explanation I gave you regarding optical media. You truly are in a class of your own. I'd be surprised if you can get out of bed in the morning without hurting yourself.

So what are you doing at this forum? Why do you use ImgBurn? Why do you even own optical drive?

3 questions? 3 answers.

1. It's possible, just possible that some of the people asking questions here might need some help. You, on the other hand, are obviously one of the chosen few that already know everything, which is a rare treat for the rest of us. How about you pull your bottom lip over your head and swallow?

2. It's the best software available for what it does. (I'm not going too fast for you, am I?)

3. For some tasks optical drives are still necessary, such as burning and installing linux distros.... which amuses me a great deal.

What has me mystified is the fact that you are convinced that multisession burning is the way forward, when those of us who know better are, apparently, wrong.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Albert Einstein

(oil --> troubled water)

Congratulations. You have redefined the word "idiot".

[cough] .. that's a little rough ...

Just explain that ImgBurn is an excellent solution to several other needs (as you sort of already have) ... but not to the requirement for an incremental backup tool.

Both of you seem to agree that optical disk technology is not reliable enough for a proper backup solution :)

If you want to keep your photos safe, go buy an external HD or something. Multisession writing to CD or DVD was fabulous 10 years ago. These days, there are better and cheaper options available.

[...]

It's possible, just possible that some of the people asking questions here might need some help. You, on the other hand, are obviously one of the chosen few that already know everything, which is a rare treat for the rest of us. How about you pull your bottom lip over your head and swallow?

Again a trifle harsh :)

To me it looked like Dmitry thought you were saying all optical technology is old-hat, unreliable and generally not worth bothering with (I suspect Dmitry's first language is not English) ... and if that's so then his reply just looks like a genuine query about your purpose for using IB.

Just sayin' ... [eats another cookie ... life is good]

OT: I totally agree with you about 'InCD'. For me, Roxio's 'DirectCD' was less toxic, but still caused various kinds of weirdness. Regretfully, I'm much happier without either.

@Dmitry: FWIW, Most folks here (and I'm one of them) are not particularly bothered that ImgBurn can't do multisession. Quite a few folks are, of course, but many many more are not. The fact is that ImgBurn does so many other things so very very well, that it can be forgiven the few gaps in its feature set.

I haven't voted in your poll, cos that's not the sort of thing that has much influence on LUK's ImgBurn roadmap. I hesitate to speak for him, but he knows lots of folks would like multi - however, he's not on some kind of messianic trip to bring an answer to everyone's needs ... he has his own vision for the program, and if somebody's request doesn't fit with his plans then it just has to wait low down on the list.

Having said that, it was worth you making your thoughts known - just don't expect any particular result.

New beers please :beer2:

Just explain that ImgBurn is an excellent solution to several other needs (as you sort of already have) ... but not to the requirement for an incremental backup tool.

ImgBurn was never meant to be like Nero. It's a professional tool designed to give experienced users control of the burn process. Multisession has been beaten to death for years and, in that time, nobody has come up with a compelling reason why Lightning_UK should implement it.

Both of you seem to agree that optical disk technology is not reliable enough for a proper backup solution :)

It isn't. It never has been. You seem like a smart guy so I'll let you in on a little secret. Burned media doesn't last. Pressed media (like commercial DVDs) last longer because they don't delaminate. When you burn optical media, you expose it to heat. This heat causes an irreversible chemical reaction which can separate the individual layers of the media. The experts call it disk rot. I can't begin to count how many disks I've burned in the last 10 years. Somewhere between 5 and 10 thousand, I suppose - all of which have gone into the bin.

I haven't voted in your poll, cos that's not the sort of thing that has much influence on LUK's ImgBurn roadmap.

I didn't create the poll. I did, however, vote in it.

I hesitate to speak for him, but he knows lots of folks would like multi - however, he's not on some kind of messianic trip to bring an answer to everyone's needs ... he has his own vision for the program, and if somebody's request doesn't fit with his plans then it just has to wait low down on the list.

You've almost got right but not quite. Yes - Lightning_UK does what he sees fit with this program. Afterall, it's his baby. That said, I've seen things implemented by request just because the suggestion was a good suggestion. Hundreds of things have been added since this programs' humble beginnings as ImgBuilder version 0.0.0.1 back in 2005. Multisession is a dog. Pure and simple.

Having said that, it was worth you making your thoughts known - just don't expect any particular result.

This isn't facetube. Trolls are far and few between here. You asked a question and got an honest response. The rest of the internet population should be so lucky.

Yeah I'm with Shamus.

My disc burning nowadays is just some Iso backups, mostly D/L.

Everything else is usb pen drives or HDD. And that just feels like a half way house to whats coming next in data storage.

Just my 2p

Yeah I'm with Shamus.

My disc burning nowadays is just some Iso backups, mostly D/L.

Everything else is usb pen drives or HDD. And that just feels like a half way house to whats coming next in data storage.

Just my 2p

I'm glad somebody agrees with me. :) A quick check on Ebay shows that I can buy a 8gig flash drive for $15. Eight gigs for fifteen dollars! ..and it's multisession capable straight out of the box. Like you, I burn a few ISos, maybe build a few here and there but flash drives and hard drives are a hell of a lot easier, more convenient, less problematic, safer and also faster.

Optical media was the ducks' nuts 6 or 7 years ago. It still has it's place but multi-terabyte PCs and the media players that can connect to them (XBox, PS3 and others) have taken their toll on its dominance. Just an opinion...

<old fart mode off>

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.