burning probs

crompy70

hello..ive just been out a bought brand new acer aspire laptop with the dvd-super multi dl drive so i can back-up my xbox 360 games but im having issues with imgburn..i have the latest imgburn installed as ive used it for years now. thats why i bought a new laptop coz i burnt out laser on my old laptop....but the problems im having is that device buffer goes to 76% no higher or lower then write fails.i use aone dl discs have done for years without any problems on all my laptops using img..but none of them stopped at 76% on device buffer on every burn i try to do....is there anything i can do to change the device buffer or is my optical drive not up to the job..its a HL DT ST DVDRAM GT32N model.and my older laptop had a tsst corp drive which worked like a dream..so maybe i should look into buying external dl burner...

Edited by crompy70

The device buffer itself shouldn't be an issue since each drive allocates a certain amount on it's own, each is different but if you really want to change the settings you can go into any mode, then go to tools -> settings, click the I/O tab, click page 2 and you will see the device buffer settings. Some drives keep the buffer around 70%, 80% etc. The only time you should worry is when the main buffer (hd) goes down during burning but that can be prevented by not multi tasking, having correct chipset drivers, and setting the buffer size itself a little higher.

Also...

bought brand new acer aspire laptop with the dvd-super multi dl drive so i can back-up my xbox 360 games

Yeaah, good luck with that. :whistling: The reason I say that is notebook burners are crap when it comes to dl, single layer discs maybe you can get away with using them, but honestly don't be surprised when your dl burns do not work properly. If you want to properly burn dl discs, I suggest you buy a regular internal burner with an external usb2.0 adapter for it.

post-35670-0-22235800-1299474546.png

Edited by Rincewind

That setting is only used for when the buffer under run function should kick in. It will not change the buffer size.

I've never managed to get a write error, even if I stressed the buffer under run function to try to make it error out. The disc could still be played without issues. The only thing that happened was that my hard disk crashed, due to the created stress.

A log could give some more clues.

Also, not all burners fill the device buffer up to 100%. One of my Optiarcs usally jumps from 0 to 85% during the whole burn, due to calibration.

thanks so much for your replys ppl...i think im gonna buy an external writer..as ive had 4 coasters since i posted this thread....tried it in my wifes samsung laptop and it burnt 1st time no problems....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.