Sony lying about their discs?

tuzi

I bought these blank dvd-r discs from Sony about a few weeks go. Anyways on the wrapping it says it has a maximum write speed of 48x. However when I look closely at each discs, it says 16x and 1x.

Also when viewed in imgburn this info pops up:

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22LS50 TL01 (ATA)

Current Profile: DVD-R

Disc Information:

State of Last Session: Empty

Erasable: No

Free Sectors: 2,298,496

Free Space: 4,707,319,808 bytes

Free Time: 510:48:46 (MM:SS:FF)

Next Writable Address: 0

Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 8x, 16x

Pre-recorded Information:

Manufacturer ID: RITEKF1

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Disc ID: 0@P-!-00

Book Type: DVD-R

Part Version: 5

Disc Size: 120mm

Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified

Number of Layers: 1

Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)

Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit

Track Density: 0.74 um/track

First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,495,103

Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Performance (Write Speed):

Descriptor 1...

-> B0: 0x02, B1: 0x00, B2: 0x00, B3: 0x00

-> EL: 2298495 (0x0023127F)

-> RS: 9,168 KB/s (6.8x) - WS: 5,540 KB/s (4x)

Descriptor 2...

-> RS: 9,168 KB/s (6.8x) - WS: 11,080 KB/s (8x)

Descriptor 3...

-> RS: 9,168 KB/s (6.8x) - WS: 22,160 KB/s (16x)

Now hold a minute. I thought these were Sony discs, how come it says Ritek on it? Is there something I don't know about?

Sony outsources almost everything these days. Sony TVs are made by LG. Same with their DVD/BD burners. Don't quote me on this but I don't think Sony has actually made anything in the last 5 years, including the PS3. Sony throwing their rubber stamp on crappy Ritek media doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Sony outsources almost everything these days. Sony TVs are made by LG. Same with their DVD/BD burners. Don't quote me on this but I don't think Sony has actually made anything in the last 5 years, including the PS3. Sony throwing their rubber stamp on crappy Ritek media doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

No way... I thought something was fishy when I saw the advertised label said a max write speed of 48x and the disc said otherwise. Wow I should of stuck to good ole Verbatim. At least those guys are true to their words.

I was going to say the same thing. I don't think any DVD-R can be burned at 48x. Sounds more like a CD-R.

As for Sony DVD-R, there are still some better quality discs out there from them. Got a cakestack from K-Mart that had SONYD Manufacturer ID on them.

As far as Ritek goes, some Ritek media is good. Apparently, there is a difference between Region 1 Ritek and Region 2 Ritek. The only Riteks I've ever encountered that were problematic were some DVD-R DL's that played back with choppy skipping on the PS2.

• 2 weeks later...

I should of stuck to good ole Verbatim. At least those guys are true to their words.

[cough] .... not any more :(

Current best advice seems to be that unless you can get the Verbs which use Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation's "Azo" dye, you'll be better off switching to Taiyo Yuden for CD-Rs.

The packaging needs to actually state "Azo" ... if it doesn't then be Very Afraid. The Azo disks are sometimes packaged as Verbatim "Datalifeplus" brand, but the packaging should still say "Azo" somewhere.

Like this : http://www.amazon.co.uk/pack-Verbatim-80Minute-Super-Spindle/dp/B001LF1976/

Avoid the Verbatim CD-Rs which are branded "Extra Protection" ... those are in fact made by CMC Magnetics and are only really fit for scaring birds in your garden.

(Note that some of the CD-Rs sold by Amazon are described as "Super Azo" in the product description, but the packaging in the accompanying photos says "Extra Protection" instead .... gawd knows what they actually are.)

Unfortunately the Azo Verbs seem to be disappearing from the market ... Verbatim products seem to be moving down some awful slope to the level of mass-market crud ... lets hope their DVD+R DLs stay as good as their reputation, or we'll all be screwed.

Edited by scuzzy

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.