Convert ISO to MKV with Menus -- Possible?

Orexic

I am in the process of converting several ISO of DVDs to MKV, primarily in an effort to conserve HD space.

While the ISOs without menus have been easily converted, those with menus are a challenge. I would like to convert ISOs with a menu to MKV and maintain the episode menu in the process.

While seeking a solution, I have read creating a DVD file in ImgBurn would be a step in such a conversion. I have attempted to do that, but my efforts have proven fruitless.

Question: Is it even possible to convert an ISO from a DVD to MKV and maintain the menu structure?

Question: Is the suggestion of creating a DVD File using ImgBurn worthy of consideration in that regard?

Thank you.

Imgburn is not the program you are looking for. It only burns data 'as is' it doesn't convert anything, and you will have to look for a program that will copy your dvd and convert it to MKV format.

As far as maintaining menus I don't think thats possible either.

Edited by Rincewind

Imgburn is not the program you are looking for. It only burns data 'as is' it doesn't convert anything, and you will have to look for a program that will copy your dvd and convert it to MKV format.

Thank you for your response.

Is there any merit to: "MKV can retain chapters, but not menus. Use Imgburn to prepare a DVD folder from your ISO. Then you will have everything intact." A quote from aother posting elsewhere.

Thanks.

Sure, Imgburn WILL make an ISO of your DVD which implies that everything (Menus, Chapters, etc) will be intact, because you will have a VIDEO_TS directory in the ISO. Also be aware that imgburn will only copy a NON-Protected DVD-Video disc. It will not get around any kind of anti-copying measures such as CPPRM, ArCCoS, etc.

Thank you for your response.

Is there any merit to: "MKV can retain chapters, but not menus. Use Imgburn to prepare a DVD folder from your ISO. Then you will have everything intact." A quote from aother posting elsewhere.

Thanks.

Well as all ready answered you need some software that removes any copy protection measures - simple copy protection can be removed with the dvd decrypter (the predecessor of image burn), any dvd by Slysoft or dvd passkey by Fengtao soft (dvd Fab) - the moment you have the "unprotected" folders VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS saved on your hdd you do not need imgburn any longer - if you want to convert them to an mkv file you need some demux -> remux software .... there are tons of commercial stuff out there as well as some freebies ..

the mkv container can hold -> one h264/MPG2/AVC/VT1 video_ts, mt2s a.s.o. encoded video track(s) several audio tracks, several subtitle tracks (not the ones that are actually on a dvd ...) from text-based subtitle files and the chapters (no idea how to manage that with the freebies) ...

hope that helps

cheers - ahab666

Thanks for your replies and guidance.

Copy protection is not an issue in my current challenge.

It appears what I am seeking to do cannot be done at this point, at least not without intermediate time-consuming steps and degredation of quality.

I will continue to research and then post any meaningful solutions to others who may be interested.

Thanks again!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.