.dvd or .mds - is one better than the other?

gostek

Just wondering if there is any advantage of using .mds over .dvd when creating an .iso? Does it matter which I choose? .dvd is plain text isn't it but is there any other difference? Can an .mds file be read in other burning software besides Imgburn?

Also, is there a way to create just an .mds or .dvd file from an inserted disc (not an image) without ripping an iso?

Edited by gostek

I don't know what other programs support .mds (media descriptor file) but yes .dvd is plain text. In most cases you can use either one, and they are VERY important if your are burning an ISO of a double layer image (both .mds or .dvd have layerbreak info (if applicable)).

Thanks for the reply. Yes I want to make sure I always have an mds or dvd file because of the dual-layer info. There is no way to create both a .dvd and .mds file at the same time as creating the iso is there? Then I'd have both types of files available.

EDIT: Oh I just checked my settings and discovered that I can make both .dvd and .mds files at the same time. Perfect, now I don't have to decide which to make.

Edited by gostek

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.