Incorporate DVDisaster-like error recovery

laserfan

Found a bad data CD in among my backup discs the other day, and used IsoPuzzle to get most of it back. In searching here prior to suggesting adding a cooldown feature like IsoPuzzle to get past these unexpected CD/DVD/BD readability problems, I found mention of an even better idea, the DVDisaster ECC data creation method. Apparently you can create the CD/DVD/BD disc with ECC data embedded, or (much better IMO) create an outboard ECC datafile for your CD/DVD/BD that you keep safely somewhere else, and if your CD/DVD/BD develops readability issues you can use the ECC file you made & stored way-back-when to recover your data.

I imagine LUK that you know about this already--if you've ever considered a "Pro" version ($) of your program I for one would surely pay for such an enhancement! Or is there some fatal flaw in the concept??

I'm going to give that program a try to see how it works, but it seems on the surface to be a natural for ImgBurn which is already the best burning software in existence! :wub:

DVDisater works pretty well, it already saved me a few times. In one case the disc was completely unreadable as the file system was totally hosed, but it still managed to fix it. It would have been nice to have this in ImgBurn, but it's not exactly simple to implement this kind of functionality, so the chances that it gets done are pretty low.

It would have been nice to have this in ImgBurn, but it's not exactly simple to implement this kind of functionality...

Of course, but as I understand it (and I might be wrong), it is open source code so maybe could be incorporated to ImgBurn. Glad to hear you used it; I only tried first on a BD.iso (movie) and the almost 50GB iso took several hours to make an .ecc file which is 7GB big! Won't be used for protecting against BD failures, and maybe not even your home movies! :whistling:

But next I tried it on a data CD (700Mb) and took maybe only a minute to make the .ecc file, and that file was "just" 94.5Mb which is not too painful to keep on a hard drive or flash disk.

AFAICT it only makes .ecc files from ISOs, therefore if starting from scratch you have to make an ISO first, then separately burn the disc, as well as separately make the .ecc file (from the ISO) for safekeeping. Fiddly stuff. :blink:

Another reality of the program is that if a disc's readability gets too bad, the ecc file/correction may not work, so it's suggested to check the discs once in a while for level of errors.

In any case it might be nice to have it built-in to ImgBurn such that to make a data disc you drag/drop the files, then ImgBurn makes an ISO as a temp file, creates the .ecc from same, then burns it, in one-click. Well, we could hope... :innocent:

I just had a great success using IsoPuzzle to recover a BD that had developed Read problems. Although I can't be certain of it, after several days of using several drives off-and-on (getting some sectors to read-back with most tries), and still having some 800,000 sectors left to recover, I tried launching Nero DriveSpeed in the hope of altering the read speed of my SATA drive to gain more readability. It appeared it was not working, but then I suddenly got all 800,000 sectors to read. A perfect ISO. Then I noticed DriveSpeed was still running-but-minimized. Dunno if DriveSpeed did the trick, but like the idea of adding to ImgBurn:

1. Drive cooldown

2. Changing drive read speed

1. Get a fan for the reader, even if I doubt it will impact the reading.

2. Already there

1. I would argue that the drive just has to suffer if you let it read for hours & hours (& hours)

2. Please tell! (I can't find any read speed settings) :wacko:

Change if from Max to whatever you want. (Some readers has a lower read speed they can't go under)

mode201.png

The left 'Read Speed' box sets the desired reading speed for a 'Data' source and the right 'Read Speed' box sets the desired reading speed for an 'Audio' source.

The reason for the default '8x' for 'Audio' as source, is that there's no error correction on Audio tracks, so the slower the better really.

Change if from Max to whatever you want.

Ha, ha! I hafta say, "hiding in plain sight"!!!

Thanks. :blush:

EDIT: I have to mention another nice feature of IsoPuzzle: the ability to pause-and-restart a rip. So if the current Read Speed is not working (or any other setting for that matter) we can only Abort and start-over from scratch.

Edited by laserfan

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.