Setting Book Type CT30N

kaamos87

Ok, so I just got a new laptop and I'm having trouble burning Xbox 360 backups. (Now I know why the FAQ says avoid slimline drives!)

Anyway, I checked around and I don't think anyone's posted issues with with this specific drive.

ID STRING: HL-DT-ST DVDRWBD CT30N (Firmware A101)

KEEP IN MIND THAT THROUGHOUT ALL OF THIS, IMGBURN BURNS AND VERIFIES EVERY DISK W/O ISSUES. THE XBOX THROWS ERRORS WHEN READING DISKS BURNED WITH THIS DRIVE ONLY.

Here's my problem: I set the layer break, and at first, I left the change book type to auto. Result: Some games will read. Some will even start and play. All get read errors at some point when playing, and all fail at exactly 49% when installing. So I called the laptop manufacturer and had them send me another drive (same model). Same problem with this one, only with a bonus: none will even read. Dash just says open tray. (IT'S NOT A PROBLEM WITH MY XBOX.)

So I try changing the book type manually, but I always get this:

Unknown (FAILED!)

Reason: Invalid Command Operation Code

I am using the newest version of abgx360 and ImgBurn, Verbatim DVD+R DL's, and always burn at 2.4x. All images are valid, verified rips, and will burn/install/play great if I use my external burner.

All this leads me to believe there may be some kind of compatibility issue with ImgBurn, or maybe it's the book type issue (or just a s*** drive!). I really don't know what to do other than just continue to use my external burner. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

...And I apologize in advance if this issue has been addressed before.

The burner should automatically booktype DVD+R DL media to DVD-ROM. If it isn't doing this (ImgBurn shows the booktype in the Log just before verifying starts) then it isn't burning the disc properly.

(or just a s*** drive!)

That's the whole problem indeed, as you've said yourself the other burner works fine.

Well you've pretty much answered your question. You have a crappy drive. Attempting to burn DLs anyways on your slimeline is just plain futile since also the more discs you waste and buy it will add up to the cost of a drive anyways.

Also note burning at 2.4x is not always relevant or possible because most drives (PROPER drives (and more recent firmware)) will over speed 2.4x rated DL media to 4x, check your logs and you will see that :).

Anyways, I am almost 99.9999% sure that if you buy a normal drive and buy a USB2.0 or 3.0 enclosure for it and use that as your primary burner for 360 backups, you should have better luck.

Edited by Rincewind

Thanks a lot for the quick replies. I figured that's probably it: just a crap drive. I've been on the phone with the laptop manufacturer for hours over this issue, and they repeatedly determine it to be a software issue. I finally told them the whole story- I was backing up Xbox 360 games and had been doing so for a few years without any problems. This feeble attempt to prove to them that I just might know what I'm talking about only got me a "You're attempting something that's impossible, and we won't help you." Anyway, I was just trying to see if anyone had had a similar issue with this drive not setting a book type, and got my answer. I guess I'll just use my external burner from now on!

Thanks again for your opinions :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.