Using the correct image for disk back up.

FlipD9

I've been looking at creating an image back ups of my music CDs, software (Windows disk, Office disk and similar software), and movie DVDs just in case something happens to the originals. I thought that I could just use ISO for all my images but some of my findings indicate that I use BIN/CUE for music CDs. After I found that out and did some more reading, I'm now not really sure how to determine when to use a certain image format. Could someone please clarify when to use ISO, when to use BIN/CUE, or other format to write images? Does it matter when I'm making an image of files from my computer? Mix data like music, movies, Office documents, and application files.

Thank for your time,

Arvin L.

BIN/CUE are pretty much for Audio CDs, and any other CD image that has multisession, even VIDEO_CD but i doubt you have any VCDs. Usually though imgburn will automatically determine the appropriate image format and 99.9% of the time it will just be standard ISO for any kind of data disc (Data CD, Data DVD, etc). This also applies to DVD-Video discs. Also keep in mind that whatever movies you do plan to 'backup' with imgburn, it has to be non copyprotected discs.

Imgburn will not try to circumvent any copyprotection whatsoever, and will tell you that the disc is copy protected.

By default, ImgBurn automatically generates an appropriate file name for the image. So long as you don't change the name/extension (and only the path if you're not happy with it), you should be fine.

The disc info on the right (when in Read mode) will tell you how many sessions/tracks are on the disc.

By default, ImgBurn automatically generates an appropriate file name for the image. So long as you don't change the name/extension (and only the path if you're not happy with it), you should be fine.

When you say "file name," you're talking about ImgBurn automatically selecting ISO or BIN/CUE, right? How about the 1:1 image?

One more thing. To get the best results and less failed sessions when make images or writing to disk, is it recommended to turn off your AV/IS program? I have read and talked to people, some say yes and others say it doesn't matter.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.