External HDD unreliable for DVD files

Jaybuck

I’ve got many VHS tapes of the Gaither Homecoming series and due to degradation of the tapes, I’m in the processes of converting the analog tapes to digital format with a Pinnacle conversion device hooked between my VHS player & computer. Here’s my problem; some of the videos stored on an external HDD will play on WMP from that HDD & some won’t. Those I’ve burned so far with IMGBurn, will play in WMP from the computers DVD player and my stand-a-lone DVD player. Any ideas or suggestions?

PS: I’ve discovered that video files, especially DVD’s are not real stable on external HDD’s. AVI’s are a little more stable, but a word of caution; if you must store video files on an external HDD, leave them there. Do not be moving them around & leave HDD off when not in use.

post-26490-0-23050400-1311037018.jpg

post-26490-0-08745200-1311037037.jpg

You aren't supposed to play the individual DVD Video files by double clicking on them.

They're designed to be played as a whole, and for that you need to 'play' the VIDEO_TS.IFO file, if anything.

If you want files you can double click, you should capture and convert to AVI, MKV etc.

Doesn't Media Player Classic play VOB files by double clicking on them? PowerDVD will, but, it is, as a general rule, as LUK said. You don't play VOB files directly. You need a DVD player software playing the IFO files to properly get audio and video

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.