Can Imgburn burn compressed files?

Lmmc

I'm trying to burn a file that is 9GB onto an 8.5 GB disc to create a DVD

I compressed the files to fit the disc

But when I search for the folder in "Source" the compressed file doesn't appear

Any help?

[Obviously no log to show)

Edited by Lmmc

If by compressed you mean a compressed disc image, no. It only burns standards ISO images.

Do you know where the output of the compressed file is though?

Also note that just because you compressed it, doesn't necessarily mean it will fit. Your 8.5GB dual layered disc really only holds about ~7.5GB (it is really 8.5GiB or 8,5xxx,xxx,xxx bytes).

To be honest, I'm really bad with computers, I just right clicked the file and sent it to a compressed folder

The files are ripped from a DVD (I'm backing up my DVDs)

The original (non compressed) file is still there

Do you have any advice on how I can make the file smaller but still be used with Imgburn?

Well you can try using a better compression program rather than windows zip program. However before things get too out there, when you mean backing up DVDs, what kind of DVDs are these? Just general data discs, or actual DVD movies?

Well you can try using a better compression program rather than windows zip program. However before things get too out there, when you mean backing up DVDs, what kind of DVDs are these? Just general data discs, or actual DVD movies?

Actual DVD movies, TV show box set to be more specific

Ah ok, well then you can't simply 'compress' them to a zip file and expect them to playback. Also chances are that these DVD Video discs are copy protected, so you can't simply try to make a valid compressed file anyways (i.e send to compressed folder).

If you really want to make them fit on a standard single layered disc, you need to use a program called DVDShrink. That program will also try to get around any copy protection on the disc, but it is not guaranteed to work on all discs, because usually studios try to make changes to anti copying measures.

DVDShrink will produce what is called an 'iso' file that you can use imgburn to burn to your DVD-R or DVD+R, and you have the option to produce a slightly more compressed version of your videos to fit on a single layered 4.7GiB (4.4GB +-R disc). Note also that when you do produce such a file, the quality is lost slightly in order for it to fit on a single layered disc.

Also note Imgburn will also not be able to copy your discs either. Only discs that are not copy protected.

Edited by Rincewind

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.