Losing focus in Advanced Layout editor

AimHere

Hi,

When using Build Mode with the "advanced" Disc Layout Editor, I frequently have an issue where the Editor window loses focus, preventing me from doing my work.

What happens is this: I'll be selecting files in the left-hand panel (often using CTRL-click or SHIFT-click to select multiple files), when suddenly I see the ImgBurn log window pop to the foreground for a tiny fraction of a second (blink and you'd miss it), stealing focus from the Editor and preventing my mouse clicks from registering. Or, I'll have some files selected, then try to click-and-drag them to the right-hand panel... and the same thing happens, causing my click-and-drag motion to be ignored.

This seems to happen a lot if I use ImgBurn to create more than one layout in a session (in other words: open the Editor, select files, close the Editor, burn a disc, open the Editor again, select a different batch of files, etc.).

I'm using ImgBurn 2.5.5.0 on a fully-patched Windows 7 Home Premium x64 system, with one DVD burner and one BD burner.

I'd consider closing the Log window as a workaround, but I really do prefer to have it open when actually burning discs, so closing and opening it repeatedly in a session would be a pain.

I believe that could happen if the application loses focus for some reason and then gets it back again - thus causing the 'OnActivate' event to fire.

There's code in that 'OnActivate' event that would cause the DLE to lose focus.

What you have to ask yourself though is WHY the app is losing focus in the first place? Have you got anything running in the background that could be causing it?

In theory, unless it's directly related to your drag+drop / key pressing stuff, if you just left the DLE window open and focused for a while, eventually it would lose focus. It might be worth testing that out.

• 1 month later...

I believe that could happen if the application loses focus for some reason and then gets it back again - thus causing the 'OnActivate' event to fire.

There's code in that 'OnActivate' event that would cause the DLE to lose focus.

What you have to ask yourself though is WHY the app is losing focus in the first place? Have you got anything running in the background that could be causing it?

In theory, unless it's directly related to your drag+drop / key pressing stuff, if you just left the DLE window open and focused for a while, eventually it would lose focus. It might be worth testing that out.

I don't think the DLE window loses focus if it's just sitting there... only when I'm trying to work in it, e.g. clicking on files. I'll have to try your suggestion, though, and leave it alone for some time to see if it loses focus when idle.

Also, I've discovered that keeping the ImgBurn log window closed isn't a workaround after all. I find that the DLE still often loses focus even when the log isn't open. It looks like the focus is switching to the MAIN ImgBurn window... I can see the main window's "X"/close button turn red (as it would if it has focus) even as the DLE's close button turns gray.

In any event, when the DLE loses focus, clicking on/in it right away will only restore focus for a moment, before it loses it again. I find I have to either click repeatedly on the window, or sit and wait a good 5-10 seconds before clicking, in order to get the focus to "stick".

ImgBurn is the only app I seem to have this problem with. It seems odd that the focus is only switching between the various ImgBurn windows, and not switching to some other app entirely (e.g. the ever-present Firefox or Windows Explorer windows I usually have open at any given time). I suppose it's conceivable that my antivirus or firewall software, or any of several other background apps, could be causing the focus-switching, but then why aren't any other foreground app windows affected?

Edited by AimHere

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.