Recording video in -R DL media

alal

Hello.

I just bought one Verbatim DVD-R DL media to try it.

I was looking into the Guides section and I see this statment:

It is NOT recommended to use DVD-R DL Discs for Video.

In Guides Section (Burning DVD Video files directly to double layer media with ImgBurn)

Why it's not recommended? Problems with the Burn? Problems with the layer transition problem? Or...?

Regards.

It's the structure of the -R disk and the way it is put together and what that means in terms of actually not knowing precisely what sectors a LB can be put on (even the size varies believe it or not).

Don't take the cellophane off!! Go back to the store and exchange it for a +R. I can not advise strongly enough about this.

More reading - see the technical discussion here (at the end).

Regards

:o Ohhh I see! :|

I'll give it a try anyway just to see what happeans! :D

But from now on I will only buy +R media!

Thanks for the info! :)

I'll second that. The Verbatim -R/DL I bought a while back were garbage. (4 out of 10 failed, I think). The Verbatim +R/DL are brilliant.

Support for 'Layer Jump Recording' is something I spent a lot of time on but it turned out to be no use for what I (we) needed it for.

That 'need' was to make DVD-R DL media behave like DVD+R DL when it comes to layerbreaks.

With DVD+R DL media, the layerbreak position can be moved around. On DVD-R DL media that's not possible, it will always totally fill the first layer up before going onto the second.

From a bit of quick reading, I thought LJR was the answer but like I said, it turns out it wasn't.

That option is pretty much just there for possible future use, for people who know what they're doing and are looking for exactly that feature, or for people who just want to mess about with that technology.

The fact that you asked about it means I can assure you that you don't need to use it ;)

If you're really interest in it, take a look at the MMC v5 specs over at www.t10.org

Ah, so, the fuckers still can't get their act together. I had such hopes that DVD-R DL might work. My only experiements with DVD+R DL thus far resulted 50/50 with playback. The main problem was the players. For instance, the Panasonic DMR-E50 DVD recorder for playback. Doesn't like DVD+R DL. Starts playing everything at 2x, no audio, and then crashes. That seemed to be the most common problem across the board.

Thank you guys for the infos! I really understand it now! :)

Well just to tell you that I tried to record a -R DL media. The burn was successful. Then I tried to play it on my DVD player... it can only read the 1st layer.

I will just stay with the +R DL media, they are cheaper and my player reads them all without any problem. :D

Regards.

Thank you guys for the infos! I really understand it now! :)

Well just to tell you that I tried to record a -R DL media. The burn was successful. Then I tried to play it on my DVD player... it can only read the 1st layer.

I will just stay with the +R DL media, they are cheaper and my player reads them all without any problem. :D

Regards.

As you found out. The compatibility is not good in most players. I saw a test somewhere that tested Verb DL-R on 20 players and only 2 worked successfully. The same DVD burned as a Verb DL+R worked on 18 of the 20 players. Other makes of DL+R seem to have less compatibility than the dye used on Verbatims. My Sony 585 works with Verbatim DL+R but not any other makes.

Also, DL+ also has DVD ROM bitsetting to improve compatibility.

As you found out. The compatibility is not good in most players. I saw a test somewhere that tested Verb DL-R on 20 players and only 2 worked successfully. The same DVD burned as a Verb DL+R worked on 18 of the 20 players. Other makes of DL+R seem to have less compatibility than the dye used on Verbatims. My Sony 585 works with Verbatim DL+R but not any other makes.

Also, DL+ also has DVD ROM bitsetting to improve compatibility.

I saw that test too. But i resolve to give it a try :). I've tested diferent brand of +R DL media and my DVD player can read all of them. But the best ones are definitely the Verbatim media. I can record them up to 6x. :D Bitsetting is also enabled to improve compatibility. :)

I've got another question (I think that there is no need to create a new topic) :).

About the layer break on the DVD... Is the layer break info different if I create a ISO (with the MDS file)? or is it exacly the same from the option to copy from the HDD files?

This question is just my 1st post question but I'm always reading in different foruns and topics that you should create an ISO with the MDS file to have exacly the same LB info from the original disc. Should I? :blink::unsure:

regards.

if you make an iso and mds , the mds will contain the original layer break info.

if you alter the files in any way you can choose a new layer break using imgburn v2.

you can also just copy all files to your hdd instead of making an iso and then let imgburn suggest the best layer break choice, either way will work

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.