Automating ImgBurn w/AutoHotkey

pjDVD

The current version of ImgBurn does not handle read errors without manual intervention, when copying from DVDs to the hard drive into ISO files. It will need an air-breather to press the Cancel button, at which point it will reject the disc and get on with reading the remaining discs in the stack (i.e. when using an autoloader). To get around this I have started using a short script with AutoHotkey (free app to write key/mouse macros). It simply left-clicks the area on the screen where the Cancel button will appear, and does so every 10 seconds or so. A more elegant script would be better, but since this is a dedicated PC it really doesn't matter.

So far, of the last 200 DVDs read into ISOs on my Nimbie connected to a PC running Win7 - there have been ~20 "bad" DVDs. Each of them was successfully and automatically bypassed using the AutoHotkey/ImgBurn combination.

Not sure which error is happening, I'll have to check. Seems like the Primera was rejecting 1 or 2 discs in the last 24 hours w/o stopping for an error. So there was definitely some checkbox I set that allowed this to happen? However, the Primera eventually hung with an error - which I'm pretty sure said I/O error at the top. This was before I started running AutoHotkey on the Primera. When I implemented the same type of AutoHotkey fix on it that's been running for a couple of days on the Nimbie, the Primera/ImgBurn box hasn't stopped for manual intervention recently(other than running out of DVDs whilst I was asleep).

I'll stop ImgBurn on both the Nimbie and the Primera, turn off AutoHotkey, and make note of the exact errors that seem to stop ImgBurn. I'm thinking they're either 1) read, 2) seek, or 3) multi-track errors. I'll check also that ImgBurn settings are identical for both PCs, with the exception of the Autoloader type selected. Will upload tomorrow whatever "errors" require manual clicking. Should be easy to do as I've now at least 100 "faulty" DVDs from 10 stacks of 100 DVDs. They should represent a fair collection of error types.

One thing is for sure evident - the Primera is more forgiving than the Nimbie when it comes to errors on the data DVDs. I'm getting about 5-10 rejected DVDs per 100 on the Nimbie, and only 2-5 per 100 on the Primera.

The results in the last 24 hours are that the Nimbie had all the same errors. I manually clicked through the error for the first 10, then put it on AutoHotkey. Here's the error:

======

I/O Error!

Device: [0:0:0] Optiarc DVD RW AD-7241S 1.03 (I:) (USB)

ScsiStatus: 0x02

Interpreation: Check Condition

CDB: <changed with each error>

Interpretation: Read (10) - Sector: <changed with each error>

Sense Area: <changed with each error>

Interpretation: Unrecovered Read Error

======

The Primera had a few problems picking multiple disks, then getting confused when I got rid of the extra disk. It also thought the black and color cartridges needed reinsertion, so I popped them out and reinserted the firmly. It's been running for 3 hours without an error. AutoHotkey is not running on that box in order to catch any I/O errors that happen.

The drives on the Primera are both:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-218L 9.00 (G:) (USB)

... One is G: and the other is H:

BTW, on the Primera once I've specified which is upper and which is lower, how can I change that? I don't seem to be able to get it to work correctly using the upper drive and I'd like to restate which is upper and which is lower, paying better attention to what I'm doing - and then specify using the upper drive in ImgBurn again to see if it will correctly use the upper drive. It seemed to get confused by putting a disk in the upper drive, then telling me the drive was empty, i.e. blank disk, a couple of times until I rebooted and cycled power on the Primera.

Primera error:

======

I/O Error!

Device: [0:0:0] PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-218L 9.00 (G:) (USB)

ScsiStatus: 0x02

Interpretation: Check Condition

CDB: 28 00 00 1C 67 6B 00 00 01 00

Interpretation: Read (10) - Sector: 1861483

Sense Area: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 00 00

Interpretation: No Seek Complete

======

Got this twice this morning. The Abort on Error box is checked. Have setup AutoHotkey to monitor and press [Cancel] when it comes up again.

Haven't gotten a Read error on the Primera in the last 100-150 DVDs read with Imgburn. Maybe that's more of a Nimbie problem.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.