Need some help...Please

DasReich

Hi guys, well, no luck so far.

I dont get a ram test on start up, nothing but the screen stating the corrupt/mising file.

Im currently unable to do anything other than Ive been able to do so far which is initialising a windows install which crashes.

Im totally stumped.

Thinking about getting a new mainboard and h/drive, think this is the way to go chaps?

Thanks for the input so far lads, this one has defeated me I think....now where did I leave the hammer...

Dave

you should get hold of memtest+ and test your ram.

check again all fans, wires, cables, change your psu for another.

Disconnect any extra hard drives, rom drives on a temp basis to see if you can get past not being able to install operating system, (you need 1 rom drive though to test, but try 1 if fails, then disconnect that one try another etc)

Maybe try another hard drive to see if you can install to that one.

memtest+ iso

Edited by dontasciime

Hiya,

Well, Im going to try another h/drive to see what happens.

Ive got a couple of others, but they are full of data and cant afford to loose them, so need to get hold of one from somewhere.

I will keep you posted if this works, but Im not holding my breath.....

Cheers guys.

Dave.

yeah ,starting with another HD to test is the way to go ,you can usually find them really cheap in computer repair shops ,they wont be very big gig wise but you can get a 9 gig for $5 or so thats what I paid for one to test something on .A friend of mine has gone through 3 hard drives in 2 years for no reason I can find I have the same drives in my comp and haven't had a seconds worth of problems ,computers dont you just love them :&

Hi polo, well I just ordered one, fingers crossed the problem lies there and is nothing more serious.

This current pc has been nothing but a pain in the ass from day one. Its only about 10 months old so I will be a bit miffed if it is the drive faulty, but I did read somewhere that using a drive for lots of dvd burning/authoring etc puts strain on them, cant see how that differs from any other use, but hey....Im just an idiot who presses buttons, I dont know how to make the bloody things work.... :D

If all goes well, I'll let you know.

Thanks chaps.

Dave.

Well, the saga continues......

I popped in a brand new h/drive, installed the cd, seemed to be getting somewhere I thought, at 65% of the install got a message saying 'cannot copy file (whichever one it was I cant remember now), Bollox!, if I tried to skip, it just kept saying cant copy file, only other option was to abort and retry. On retrying it does the same as before, loads drivers etc, the when says 'windows is starting' it then goes to the blue stop screen of death.

What else do you guys think it could be, mainboard problem with the bios maybe, thats what Im thinking along the lines of now.

Not got a clue how to go about dealing with that, so any help would be appreciated.

If I was to get a new mainboard, how difficult is it to set up from new?

I do play online games a fair bit, so thinking of going to dual sli for graphics.

Anyway, back to the problem in hand...any ideas are appreciated.

Dave.

What i have found to also cause this problem Besides bad Sectors on the Hard Drive is a Bad CD-Rom/DVD-ROM (it seems to work but always ended up after so long with the \config\system erro ever 6 months on my fathers machine...finally replaced the DVD burner and haven't had the problem since.

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows using the original setup cd-rom.

Select 'r' at the first screen.

Now Ive tried this but the cd wont boot up and goes back to the message above. Ive tried pressing f8 and f10 on boot up but again goes back to the message above. Im stuck with what to do next

Try hitting Escape while your computer is booting up. That should bring up a menu

to select the boot device from. Choose the drive your Windows CD is in. Does that

allow you to boot the CD? {EDIT}

Edited by calweycn

Hi, yes I can boot the cd ok, problem is later with the install process.

Ok, I did the memtest. Now I dont claim to understand everything it did... :whistling: , but the results said pass, no errors.

But when I did option 3 and bios all areas, it did come up with a bad sector and crashed on me, did this twice with same result.

I have made a note of the exact result, but dont have the time to print it here (work intereferes with so much!!)

I will post it a bit later, but does this sound like the problem thats resulting in this?

Like I said, Im no expert when delving into this sort of thing, your help everyone whos posted is greatly appreciated.

Dave.

whever I am trying to troubleshoot something like this, I leave the computer open, remove all extra cards, chose safest settings in bios,

have extra components ready and start changing out 1 part at a time and putting back in until I find the offending component. If 2 parts

are going out, you're screwed, takes forever.

cd, optical drive, power supply, hard drive, memory all test easily.

I have had cpu's that were overheating and whne underclocked would give a good load

one component that's a bear is the motherboard

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.