Windows Disc Image Burner is faster than ImgBurn?

whocareswhoami

Hey,

I don't know what am I doing wrong, or how is this possible, but I took time how long it took to erase my 2x 4.7GB DVD-RW disc and write the latest testing Dual Core iso of Archlinux with both ImgBurn and Windows' own Disc Burner and found out that ImgBurn did this in 8:18 (mins:secs), while Windows' own decided to take only 6:46.

I even re-wrote(/erased) the disc two times with both burners - results were still the same. No anti-viruses, no old firmwares, no nothing. My system is a up-to-date Win 7 (SP1) with the latest version of ImgBurn (2.5.6.0).

How is this even possible?

ImgBurn uses the DAO/SAO write type by default and drives tend to burn a minimum of 1GB to DVDs when that's being used - it makes the disc more compatible.

If a program were to use the Incremental write type instead and the drive then only burns the 700MB image (without padding to 1GB), that would explain why it takes less time.

So it's not actually faster (that's impossible as the drive controls the speed), it's just doing things differently.

I never do any real testing with non-default settings. The defaults are what I use day in, day out - and have done so for about 5 years.

Do you really burn enough undersized images to DVD-RW disc to make it worth the risk?

Are you really sat there tapping your fingers for the extra 2 minutes that DAO/SAO could take?

It's totally your call, I'm just saying I wouldn't do it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.