Bitsetting on Optiarc BD-5300S

Keith Weisshar

I have an Optiarc BD-5300S with FW 2.00. Why does my drive keep resetting Book Type to DVD-ROM for DVD+R, DVD+RW, and DVD+R DL on reboot even after saving the Normal booktype settings to EEPROM. This drive is actually a rebadged Lite-On drive and uses the Lite-On bitsetting commands. The drive came from the factory with booktype settings to Normal (3) in EEPROM but I can only save Normal to EEPROM. Why isn't the drive reading the EEPROM settings and applying it to the current drive settings after reboot?

Edited by Keith Weisshar

At what point are you actually checking the booktype values?

ImgBurn automatically changes the booktype to DVD-ROM when it burns... but it only manipulates the temporary values, the ones saved in EEPROM (which then get applied when the drive is reset) aren't touched.

Normal and Normal (3) mean the same thing so just ignore the difference there.

At what point are you actually checking the booktype values?

ImgBurn automatically changes the booktype to DVD-ROM when it burns... but it only manipulates the temporary values, the ones saved in EEPROM (which then get applied when the drive is reset) aren't touched.

Normal and Normal (3) mean the same thing so just ignore the difference there.

I was checking the temporary values after a power cycle but before burning but the temporary values still show DVD-ROM even though the EEPROM values show Normal.

It's showing DVD-ROM for everything under Next Write and the firmware is the original Optiarc v2.00 version on the drive but has never been updated because there is no update available on the Optiarc's website for the Optiarc BD-5300S-03. This drive supports bus encryption. The last update is v1.04 but is only for Optiarc BD-5300S-0B without bus encryption.

Edited by Keith Weisshar

The drive returns a value when you query it for the current booktype setting.

I know what 0, 1 and 2 mean, for everything else I call it 'Normal' and stick the value in brackets after it.

That's why you see 'Normal (3)'.

What does 0, 1 and 2 mean when queried from the drive? Is 3 an undefined value? 3 is the value stored in eeprom as shipped from the factory. Will reflashing the original stock firmware reset this value back to 3?

Edited by Keith Weisshar

No offence but you ask way too many (weird) questions for an end user.

This is internal program stuff and will be kept as such. Not only that, you're talking about LiteOn's internal stuff too... I don't work for LiteOn and can't answer all your questions - ask them.

Yes, reflashing stock firmware will also reset your eeprom.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.