Blu-ray BD image on DVD &/or DVD-DL

MovieingMemories

Can I burn a Blu-ray BD image on DVD &/or DVD-DL if the image size is small enough to fit?

If the answer is yes, then below are a few questions I would further have:

1. How does BD image that assumes to be on 25GB single layer, do a layer-break on a DVD-DL disc which is 8.5GB with 2 layers?

2. Is BD image on DVD automatically handled in ImgBurn including things like setting of the proper Book-type?

3. Will such a disc work in any standard hardware/software Blu-ray player?

4. Are there any specific steps that I must take before burning a BD image on a DVD?

Yes.

1. You don't worry about layer breaks on blu-ray discs (content wise or phyiscal media).

2. Yes. Some players may want DVD-ROM booktype, some may not work if it's set to DVD-ROM. You have to figure that out yourself and adjust the option in the settings accordingly.

3. Software, it should do, yes. Hardware, that probably depends on which one you have. You may have to change the folder structure slightly (so within the image) to match what your player is expecting for DVD media.

4. No.

Hello Mr. Lightning. This is the best burning software that I have used so far. I am a professional video producer and I use a free tool, for crying out loud, great job. Thanks for the quick reply. I have a follow-up question on #3.

3a. If the media is BD-R then a standard Blu-ray folder structure part of the image created by a professional disc authoring software works on all standard "Hardware" Blu-ray players, then why would I have to create special folders for specific players if the media is DVD or DVD-DL? Can you elaborate and give some clues? I want to produce a Blu-ray disc that can play on all standard compliant Blu-ray players, but if my image size is small enough to fit on DVDs then I'd save some quids/bucks especially when I'm producing a whole bunch of short movies and a bunch of testing discs. And when I have to use printable disc the cost for BD is much higher.

Sometimes they may just treat BD content on a DVD discs as something slightly different.

It comes down to following BD video specs or AVCHD specs I think. Each player could potentially handle these things differently.

The best people to ask about this stuff are over at the Doom9 forums - look in the MultiAVCHD thread. We don't really deal with playback issues.

@OP you can only burn BD format video to DVD media if the program meets DVD-capable bitrate restrictions (DVD discs do not spin at as high a rate as BD for example). So if you are intending to publish anything on DVD media you have to know those restrictions and encode your audio/video accordingly.

IMO you are best off to use BD media, then you don't have to worry about this. Further, you are much more likely to make discs that play in most BD players if they are BD-R. It's a real crap shoot with DVD-Recordable media.

Edited by laserfan

@OP you can only burn BD format video to DVD media if the program meets DVD-capable bitrate restrictions (DVD discs do not spin at as high a rate as BD for example). So if you are intending to publish anything on DVD media you have to know those restrictions and encode your audio/video accordingly.

IMO you are best off to use BD media, then you don't have to worry about this. Further, you are much more likely to make discs that play in most BD players if they are BD-R. It's a real crap shoot with DVD-Recordable media.

Thanks for the great clue. I will make sure that the bit-rate of the video is comfortably below the maximum data-rate of DVDs when burning a Blu-ray image to it, this makes complete sense. The max data-rate of DVDs is much higher than what the DVD-Video spec restrictions are. So I will research into it. Just have to make sure it works on most Blu-ray players.

Sometimes they may just treat BD content on a DVD discs as something slightly different.

It comes down to following BD video specs or AVCHD specs I think. Each player could potentially handle these things differently.

The best people to ask about this stuff are over at the Doom9 forums - look in the MultiAVCHD thread. We don't really deal with playback issues.

Thanks. I'll look for clues there too.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.