Locks Up and Won't Close When Over-Burning Fails

calweycn

I appreciate being able to over-burn discs slightly (100 MB or so). But if you go

too high, ImgBurn (and DVDD) will lock up and refuse to shut down. Even when

using Test Mode, this happens. They can't be terminated even through the Task

Manager. This should be fixed. We need to be able to force the program to stop

when over-burning fails, not lock up itself and the drive.

It would also be nice to have an option to test the discs for over-burn capacity.

Nero's CD/DVD Speed isn't accurate. It's off by 25-36 MB (14-20%) in what it

predicts the additional capacity. I've burned 4600 MB without problems. It'll go

as far as 4633-4637 MB, based on my tests, but 4630 is probably the limit for

safety. Good media is essential, e.g. MCC 004 or Yuden T02.

Overburning is a risk and there is no guarantee to overburn even the same MID disc to the same size, there are diffrences from batch to batch. I simply can't imagine a case where a couple of megabytes (0.x %?) would make the difference.

Be extremely careful with overburning DVD-Video discs because servos of standalone players are often much more picky than those in computer drives. Perfect quality 4600+ MB burns may not play at the end at all. It's different from player to player, but I usually experienced playback issues above 4560 MB.

Overburning is a risk and there is no guarantee to overburn even the same MID disc to the same size, there are diffrences from batch to batch.

I'm not having problems with the discs. They play fine. I tested the last chapters in

a picky machine. They have played perfectly up to 4600 MB. The problem's when I

test the over-burn capacity of a disc. It will lock up the program if you burn too far,

even in Test Mode. It just hangs on finalizing the disc. There was no way to unlock,

except a hard reboot (after closing programs and saving data).

Be extremely careful with overburning DVD-Video discs because servos of standalone players are often much more picky than those in computer drives. Perfect quality 4600+ MB burns may not play at the end at all. It's different from player to player, but I usually experienced playback issues above 4560 MB.

I always burn at 4x or less, esp for over-burning. I would never burn anything over

8x, because the quality isn't that good. I've tested over-burned discs in two players

and the end plays fine. Most of my burns are under 4560 MB. Only a few have been

over that. They play OK, so that doesn't worry me. I would like to know how to get

the program to shut down properly if over-burning a DVD fails.

Your drive hangs and that causes the program to hang, not the other way around.

When the drive recovers, so will the program.

Why can Nero CD/DVD Speed perform the same operation without hanging?

I've left it running for an hour and ImgBurn wouldn't stop or close. It would

respond to input, like opening menus, but the drive was locked, and nothing

would make the program shut down. It does this even in Test Mode. Is there

any way to recover from this, without a hard reboot?

its not the program thats the problem its overburning ,you also run the chance of damaging the drive for what 100mb's :doh:

Yeah, well, then LUK can just disable over-burning, since it's such a bad idea.

How can it damage the drive in Test Mode? Nero CD/DVD Speed doesn't lock

up the drive when I use it to test a disc's over-burning capacity. I'll continue

over-burning. I've never experienced any damage to the drive. If I do, then

I won't cry too hard about paying $40 for another. And I'll remember not to

burn that much data in the future.

Re: the "dangers" of over-burning. I've read up on the subject and tested a

lot of things to see what's safe. I only had trouble when I tried burning huge

images, in Test Mode, just to see where it would fail. I don't see how I could

damage the drive. I learned that MCC 004 fails at 4633.8 MB and YUDEN T02

fails at 4637.2 MB. I don't plan on burning that much. I would stay at or below

99% of that, just to be safe. I hate compression. I either over-burn or use a

dual layer disc, if something is too over 4482-4489 MB.

@ calweycn you are so full shit

Thank you! Are you trying to get a rise out of me, Agent Jill? If so,

your attempt failed. Good job making yourself look bad. Everyone

can test whether my posts are full of @#$. So, don't bother adding

any substance. That would be above you. Your vocabulary is more

full of $#!@ than anything else, apparently... EDIT.

Edited by calweycn

Errrmmm...it's not just her.

Your attitude to replies, your extolling the virtues of Nero, your whining and carrying on when you receive an answer that you don't like, your lack of respect for the program's author and probably just the fact that you come in here trying to find fault with IB has led to the

@ calweycn you are so full shit
feeling that permeates the threads.

Spinner

@ calweycn I'm not after a rise although I am sick to death of hearing you do nothing but whine about imgburn, if you like "nero" so much stick with it and and piss off and leave us, the ones that are quite happy with imgburn, alone

Thankyou for your non valuable input, now as I said piss off and don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out

Your drive hangs and that causes the program to hang, not the other way around.

When the drive recovers, so will the program.

Why can Nero CD/DVD Speed perform the same operation without hanging?

I've left it running for an hour and ImgBurn wouldn't stop or close. It would

respond to input, like opening menus, but the drive was locked, and nothing

would make the program shut down. It does this even in Test Mode. Is there

any way to recover from this, without a hard reboot?

Again, you insist on debating with the author of this software. This is the sort of behaviour one would expect from a 6 year old. Not something anyone expects from a 51 year old. It?s obvious that ImgBurn will never live up to your standards nor will you ever get it through your thick head that you are, once again, wrong.

I propose returning to the other forums where you are equally unwanted like Digital Digest, CD-Freaks, Afterdawn and, most likely, countless others. You contribute nothing. You help no-one. You waste our time with your stupidity and naivety for reasons which cannot be explained. Just fuck off and leave those of us who are willing to help others get on with it.

@ calweycn you are so full of shit
@ calweycn I'm not after a rise although I am sick to death of hearing you do nothing but whine about imgburn, if you like "nero" so much stick with it and and piss off and leave us, the ones that are quite happy with imgburn, alone

Thankyou for your non valuable input, now as I said piss off and don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out

Good post! x2

Regards

I propose returning to the other forums where you are equally unwanted like Digital Digest,
Fuck, don't send him our way Shamus. For my sake. No, 1,000 times no.

Regards

calweycn,

Once again, there is no magical command to enable / disable for overburning.

I simply look at the size of the image, compare it to the size of the disc and warn the user if it's bigger.

I know you read all the other forums so perhaps you should look over at cdfreaks a little more. There were loads of posts in the BenQ forum a while back about overburning. There were clear faults found in firmwares that means drives basically just 'crashed' if you tried to do naughty things - i.e. overburning too much (and also too little in BenQ's case).

The risk you take when overburning is that your drive runs into one of these firmware bugs and gets stuck. When it gets stuck, it's stuck for EVERY program. You have to reboot so that it resets and springs back into life.

When the program sends a command to the drive it sits there waiting for a reponse. The 'DeviceIoControl' API does not return control to the calling app until the command has been processed (unless you're using 'immediate' or 'overlapped' commands). Until the program has control, you can't close it down - it's as simple as that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.