The Tenth Planet

dbminter

Well, now that people amazingly enough FINALLY agreed with me and declassified Pluto as a planet :) it brings up an interesting problem with Doctor Who history. :lol: Is Mondas the 10th planet anymore? Technically, I guess since Mondas entered Earth's orbit in 1986. ;) The interesting thing, though, is with the new IAU definitions of a planet that caused the declassification of Pluto, it puts 3 objects in the running for planetary status, thus pumping up the number of planets in the system of Sol to 11. One of these, Ceres, was actually called a planet for a long time, until it was declassified as an asteroid around 1845, with the discovery of Neptune. :D So, Ceres might become a planet again, and, there's the interesting case of 2003UB313. Somehow, I doubt that people will accept a world called 2003UB313. :wink: Plus, if it's inhabited, what do you call the visitors should they come here? The 2003B313ians? :unsure: Thus, to keep the name, I recommend that 2003UB313 be renamed... Mondas. :thumbup:

Well, now that people amazingly enough FINALLY agreed with me and declassified Pluto as a planet :) it brings up an interesting problem with Doctor Who history. :lol: Is Mondas the 10th planet anymore? Technically, I guess since Mondas entered Earth's orbit in 1986. ;) The interesting thing, though, is with the new IAU definitions of a planet that caused the declassification of Pluto, it puts 3 objects in the running for planetary status, thus pumping up the number of planets in the system of Sol to 11. One of these, Ceres, was actually called a planet for a long time, until it was declassified as an asteroid around 1845, with the discovery of Neptune. :D So, Ceres might become a planet again, and, there's the interesting case of 2003UB313. Somehow, I doubt that people will accept a world called 2003UB313. :wink: Plus, if it's inhabited, what do you call the visitors should they come here? The 2003B313ians? :unsure: Thus, to keep the name, I recommend that 2003UB313 be renamed... Mondas. :thumbup:

I reckon we go with the alternate universe theory again :) It could well be the Tenth planet in another universe just not in this one.

Just as an aside, I sometimes forget how groundbreaking that story was. It was the first time we really found out just how alien the Dr was. Great story, and you just have to love the Cybermen in this one :D

As for the name, I go with Douglas on this! Rupert is a great name for a planet!!! :D

Well, no, as I said :D there's really no need to. Pluto WAS still classified as a planet back in 1986, both when 1986 actually came around and in 1966 when the year was just plucked for being 20 years on. :)

I was mostly just nitpicking and bitching. :thumbup: After all, as we've seen, 1986 came and went without any 10th planet coming anywhere near Earth. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the Internat'l Union of Astronomers (or whatever it's called) has decided that Pluto is a "dwarf planet" instead of a full-fledged planet.

For the sake of sensitivity, shouldn't it be referred to as a "Little Planet"? After all, we don't want to harm it's self-esteem.

Seriously, it's mostly methane ice with some rock. It's probably more of a really, really big comet than any kind of planet.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.