PC locks during DL burn

Rman

I am trying to burn folders/files copied from a DVD by DVDFab and ImgBurn locks my Windows laptop requiring a hard restart. No log file was created. It locked just after layer change. Here are some details which may help:

Hardware:

Acer Ferrari 3000

Mobile AMD Athlon XP 2500+

1.86 GHz

1.00 GB RAM

LG SuperMulti GSA-4167B on USB 2, Max Write DVD+R DL 4x

Software:

Windows XP Pro SP3

ImgBurn 2.5.7.0 burning at 2.4x

Media:

Verbatim#43540 1103-20 8x DVD+R DL

ImgBurn log file extract:

I 16:48:13 Device: [0:0:0] HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B DL10 (G:) (USB)

I 16:48:13 Family Tree:

I 16:48:13 -> Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC

I 16:48:13 -> Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System

I 16:48:13 -> PCI bus

I 16:48:13 -> Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller (PCI bus 0, device 16, function 3) (VEN_1106&DEV_3104 - VIA - usbehci)

I 16:48:13 -> USB Root Hub

I 16:48:13 -> USB Mass Storage Device (USB TO IDE)

I 16:48:13 -> CD-ROM Drive (HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B USB Device)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by Rman

1. Thanks for response mmalves. Appreciate it.
  2. The LG theoretically does support Dual Layer up to 4x. It should be able to handle the media, albeit not at the media's maximum speed, shouldn't it?
  3. I have downloaded DL13 (burner currently on DL10) from FirmwareHQ but am so reluctant to apply it as I've lost hardware before. Especially because it's not from an LG site. Are my fears unfounded?

The firmwares on FirmwareHQ.com are all originals from their respective manufacturers, so there are no modified firmwares there. Aside from power loss or disconnecting the burner while updating I think it'll update just fine.

As for supporting DVD+R DL burns up to 4x I think that's for 2.4x blanks, which were common at the time that burner was current.

The burn process depends on the burner/firmware/media combination, so if you don't want to update the firmware, your other options are trying to get 2.4x media (quite rare) or a new burner.

Time for feedback.

Well I found a firmware update for the GSA-4167B on LG US site (same on Softpedia). It was the same as the one I downloaded from FirmwareHQ, just packaged differently.

Even though the burner was on the end of a USB connection, not on the secondary IDE (on a laptop?) of the motherboard as instructed by LG, I decided to update figuring it might be time for a nice, shiny, new, BlueRay burner. I'm good at rationalisation :wink: .

I crossed my fingers and held my breath and... flash successful! Upgraded from DL10 to DL13.

The same portion of the log file as in my original post now looks like:

I 09:56:53 Device: [0:0:0] HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B DL13 (E:) (USB)

I 09:56:53 Family Tree:

I 09:56:53 -> Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC

I 09:56:53 -> Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System

I 09:56:53 -> PCI bus

I 09:56:53 -> Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller (PCI bus 0, device 16, function 3) (VEN_1106&DEV_3104 - VIA - usbehci)

I 09:56:53 -> USB Root Hub

I 09:56:53 -> USB Mass Storage Device (USB TO IDE)

I 09:56:53 -> CD-ROM Drive (HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B USB Device)

Tried again burn that failed previously and this time it completed successfully :clapping: I burned the 8x Verbatim AZO media at 2.4x.

Thanks again mmalves for the suggestion and encouragement.

Edited by Rman

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.