Added files exceeding CD size with no warning

eNote

I was filling the file dialog window with mp3 files and the fill bar was moving along. I would stop filling near the limit of the CD but when it burned I got a coaster. I had to remove files but the fill bar was all over the place. Had to leave about 90Mb to be sure of a reliable burn. Would have expected imgburn to have complained when the limit had been reached, it didn't.

Logs provided for upload.

PS: The mp3 files came from CD's we have bought in the past.

Edited by eNote

You'd have been told it wouldn't fit on the disc the second you hit the 'Write' button.

Other than that, it's not overly clear what you were doing. Were you burning an audio cd via the 'create cue file' feature and Write mode, or were you burning a data disc with mp3 files on it in Build mode?

Under XP there are issues. When a duplicate file is found the build metrics are lost. I guess when I was deleting the offending file from the dialog window the next addition got its sums wrong? The other thing is it seems to add 250+ files before things start to go wrong compared with Win8 which takes only 61 files to fill the same dic size.

On win8 the open folder icon is not finding the files in the folder. I did some more tests and on XP and Win8 the size writing turns red and negative as a warning. I never got to the the red number warning on XP I stopped filling just short of the disc size and it burned coasters.

Vids of what is happening attached.

What happened to the file uploaded?

Edited by eNote

From the bit of video contained in that part001 of the rar file I can see what's causing Windows 8 not to show any files... it's because you've clicked the 'Browse for a folder' button and not the 'Browse for a file' one.

So it's waiting for you to select a folder, not files. The two dialog boxes look the same, but they have different purposes. Microsoft don't offer a standard dialog box that lets you add file AND folders at the same time.

Build metrics aren't 'lost' when you add a duplicate file, they just aren't shown because the 'auto calculate' dummy build was unsuccessful.

If you've got the 'Output' set to 'Device', it'll base its size calculations around the size of the disc currently in the drive (that's when the text will go red if you go over it). If there's no disc in the drive (Or 'Output' is set to 'Image File'), it'll just keep letting you add stuff and the 'Min. Req. Media' will keep changing (from CD to DVD to BD etc).

Because it ends the 'calculate' operation - notice the log says 'Operation Failed!'.

It's not going to calculate the size of the resulting image (or disc) if it can't physically create it in the first place due to an error in what you're trying to do.

Calculate it not meant to be used as a running total for how much you're burning to the disc - that's why 'Auto' is disabled by default.

If you want a more complex view of what you're burning (as that's not the idea behind 'Standard' input mode), switch to 'Advanced' input mode instead.

I'm getting the idea but what I was doing at the time when a duplicate file was first encountered was to delete the offending file from the dialog window and then continue to drag more files into the window. It lets you do this but the metrics all gets screwed up hence the coasters. I never noticed until I recorded the vids that the metrics had gone to zero. If you must do it this way then when the metrics clear you should also clear the dialog window of dropped files but this is going to hack off users.

They don't get messed up, it's impossible as nothing gets remembered between calculations.

If Calculate fails, it won't ever get to the stage where the disc starts burning - because the exact same code is run again for the real burn (and of course it would fail again).

I don't know what you actually did, but it's not what you've shown in that video or what you're telling me you did.

Show me the log of the 'coaster' so I can see what happened please. You can access old logs via the Help menu.

Well I know I burned the coasters - its a tough one to reproduce but I will give it a go and record the session. I seem to remember holding the final burn size down to 100MB less than what could be acheived in order to make it reliable. I would also get more than one duplicate and go through the same process several times. The fill bar would get to near 100% and with more files added it would wrap around without the legend turning red to something less than 100% fooling you into adding more files.

I know its subjective but under win8 how come I only get 62 mp3 files to fill a CD when under XP I get about 270 files?

Estaré de vuelta?

I know its subjective but under win8 how come I only get 62 mp3 files to fill a CD when under XP I get about 270 files?

It must be something you're doing differently because the OS plays no part in it. (Well, ok, it does tell the program the size of the files in question)

Maybe the files you're adding within Windows 8 have a much higher bitrate and therefore are much larger in size?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.