European Launch of Playstation 3 Delayed to March 2007

lfcrule1972

Once again Europe gets the crap end of the deal :angry:

PlayStation 3 Euro launch delayed

_42016830_ps203.jpg The PlayStation 3 was expected to be a major Christmas seller

The launch of Sony's long-awaited PlayStation 3 games console in Europe has been delayed until March 2007.

Ken Kutaragi, head of Sony's global computer entertainment division, said the machine would still be launched in November in the US and in Japan.

Mr Kutaragi blamed the European delay on problems in mass producing elements of the high-definition Blu-ray disc drives in the machines.

Sony said it still aimed to ship six million new PlayStations by March.

The delay means Microsoft's Xbox 360, which was launched last year, will enjoy another Christmas without facing a challenge from Sony in Europe.

Nintendo's Wii console is also scheduled for a worldwide release this autumn, although no firm date has been set.

Speaking at Sony's global headquarters in Tokyo, Mr Kutaragi apologised for the delays to the PlayStation 3 launch. But he said Sony had decided to focus on the US and Japan in the run-up to Christmas. "I am so sorry not to be able to answer all the expectations," Mr Kutaragi said.

Honestly, how much negative press can one company get? Part of me believes that the whole blue diode shortage is a bunch of crap....just a tool to generate more hype in the US over Sony's overpriced console.

At least people in Japan and the US can still sleep outside Target and Best Buy the night before hoping to catch a glimpse of an over-priced, over-hyped piece of Sony merchandise that was priced on it's "potential" according to Ken Kutaragi.

Edited by Wheatking

Never believe the hardware shortage shit. It's an ancient trick to build up hype and desire, thus increase sales. I know it goes back to, at least, 1988, with the artificial chip shortage created by Nintendo to raise the interest and prices of Zelda II: The Adventure Of Link.

As for Europe getting a delayed release, well, in a way, it may be better for you. You'll get the version with the bugs ironed out. :D

Hey, hey, hey...hey-hey-hey-hey!!!

You guys (in England anyway) always--well most of the time--get the hottest new American DVDs days or even weeks before we do!

And the Japanese almost always get their own products before we do as well! They had the "honor" of paying $25,000 for the first Blu-Ray drive, for example.

It does piss me off that Europe gets fucked over on things like this, our money isn't good enough perhaps ? We aren't that important to Sony maybe......

I can see it now, some poor/stupid sod's will be buying them off ebay for $1500 due to this so called shortage so their spoiled kids can have one for Christmas. But... I'm still gonna get one :D , just not at premium coin.

You know? I was a real idiot. I got one of the 20 or so PS2's that the store in this town got in 2000. And, I didn't sell it on eBay, when I should have. I was smart and pre-ordered early, by about a year, expecting this type of junk to happen. I didn't sell it because I just wanted to revel in the fact that I had whatever everyone wanted and couldn't get for a change. For once in my life, it wasn't me looking in through the window and wishing. As I said, I'm an idiot. So, I just ordered up a pizza, played some PSX game since no PS2 games were out yet, ironically enough :D and, well, did my normal routine: went to bed after that for getting up for my graveyard shift.

Hey, hey, hey...hey-hey-hey-hey!!!

You guys (in England anyway) always--well most of the time--get the hottest new American DVDs days or even weeks before we do!

What ??? :huh: I can't believe that most of the new films come out in the US on DVD before they do here, I can't think of many that came out earlier in the UK.

I am just pissed at Sony - I have been patiently waiting for the PS3 to come out and was happy enough to wait until Nov for a global release and then this ! :angry: Makes me want to :swear: - honestly yesterday I was looking at the Xbox 360 cos I am so pissed at this. I have never been interested in one before but I may just consider buying one now....

The general pattern of DVD releases is that TV shows get released in R2 before R1. As for movies, it depends on if there's a new DVD encryption technique the content owners want to test. If there is, the movies get released over in R2 first.

For instance, with Doctor Who, there is still no R1 release for The Enemy Within, and Revelation Of The Daleks probably only finally got an R1 release, a year later, to coincide with the Genesis R1 release. Since Warner Brothers knew that Genesis, the most popular Doctor Who serial of all time, would sell, the BBC finally okayed Revelation for a simultaneous sale for Dalek fans as a push, an added incentive to buy.

Well, I am still happy. I believe the Australian/New Zealand release is still on 17 November 2006. I'm not going to get one until all the bugs have been ironed out (probably christmas 2007). I was also lucky when I bought my PS2. I bought one of the ones (with in-built IR) right before it went slimline :w00tdance: in February 2004. As I see it, the playstation 3 will be the ultimate entertainment machine.

Is there anything you guys won't bet on? Say, who Prince Harry'll feel up next? =))

(Says the guy who lives 20 miles from the Vegas strip... :D )

BTW, do they tax your winnings? Is there a minimum amount? If you win a pound, do have to pay x amount of pence?

(Here, above a certain amount, it's 26%.)

well im off to the bookies to put 20 quid on sony releasing it in the UK 2 weeks before xmas

the only differance this time is that they started the sales hype a bit earlier than usual :thumbup:

What ??? :huh: I can't believe that most of the new films come out in the US on DVD before they do here, I can't think of many that came out earlier in the UK.

It's not like I have statistics, but it sure seems that way. I've seen a number of feature films released in the UK before the US.

I'm just envious, that's all. And I hate to wait.

As for Sony PS3, or what have you, I'm not a big console gamer. It does seem bloody odd that Sony can't get its shit together and release them everywhere at the same time. I can understand they would release them in Japan first as test marketing. But once it's been greenlighted, why not alot each country or region a quota of machines corresponding to how many were sold of the previous generation? :huh:

It doesn't seem like rocket science.

Been arguing with the wife over my getting new rig. She's adamantly against it. She'd rather I bought an Xbox 360 (at $800!!) than buy a new PC. 'Ceptin' I don't want an Xbox 360 or PS3 or Sega 4 Zillion or whatever--tho they would look bad ass on the HD.

Besides, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I can send email, read pdfs or rip CDs, or run ImbBurn with an Xbox 360. Whilst almost every video game is ported to PC eventually.

Edited by Pain_Man

I don't mind that they get them first. Gives the fuckers a chance to iron out the bugs they slip in. For instance, the missing effects on Remembrance Of The Daleks early pressings. Of course, sometimes we get errors inserted in, like the mysterious, silent footage on The Five Doctors that can only be accessed on PC... although, for my own enjoyment, I extracted the silent VOB's.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.