Simplest way to back up select files from multiple accounts

burnBabyBurn

I have been browsing around and trying out ImgBurn and MagicISO to cobble together a process using freeware for backing up selected folders from multiple accounts onto disc. Since I am importing content from more than one account, I was going to create an ISO file in the Public user folder tree, then add files to it as I log into different accounts. However, the process for editing ISO files seems more involved than simply creating a Windows folder tree (in the Public user folder) for the content that is to be burned to disc. I can then user Window 7's native CD burning feature to burn to disc.

Any comments on this outlook? Have I identified the most direct way to achieve my backup aim?

P.S. It would be way simpler if I could use an account that had permission to access all accounts. I could then everything to be burned in one shot. But I've never seen such a thing in Windows 7 before.

Edited by burnBabyBurn

Well, I can't think of a more direct way.

Whichever account you choose to log in with and perform the actual backup needs to have access to all of the files you want to backup. So you either need to copy all of the files from various accounts into a folder it can get at or you need to give that acount permission on all of the folders.

A proper backup tool probably wouldn't have that issue and could backup the entire lot regardless.

OK, thanks.

As far as using one of the classic backup tools go, I find them great for imaging huge swaths of things, but too heavy artillery for what I back up. I back up quite selectively, and I adapt that selection each time I do a backup.

I'll forge ahead with the method in my original post.

P.S. I'm not sure that buying Ghost was a good investment considering how I do things. I don't even rely on a ghost of my HD if I have to replace the HD. I do a clean install, even though it takes longer. Maybe because I haven't done that enough to get sick of it. It just seems cleaner.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.