windows xp(32bit) & 4 gigs of ram

chewy

Is anybody trying it? Or understand the addressing problem?

Hi, I posted a message on the Asus forum about this, but as of yet had no reply....

Hoping to find out what the problem would be myself, if you find out, please let me know... :)

This quoted on the Asus forum...

If you installed total 4GB memory, the system will detect less than 4GB of total memory because of address space allocation for other critical functions, such as:

- System BIOS (including motherboard, add-on cards, etc..)

- Motherboards resources

- Memory mapped I/O

- configuration for AGP/PCI-Ex/PCI

- Other memory allocations for PCI devices

Different onboard devices and different add-on cards (devices) will result of different total memory size.

e.g. more PCI cards installed will require more memory resources, resulting of less memory free for other uses.

On a SLI system, since PCI-Ex graphic cards will occupy around 256MB, another 256MB will be occupied after you install a 2nd PCI-Ex graphic card. Hence, 2.75GB memory left only if two SLI cards installed on A8N-SLI Premium while 3.0GB memory left with one graphic card without other add-on devices.

This limitation applies to most chipsets & Windows XP 32-bit version operating system.

If you install Windows XP 32-bit version operating system, we recommend that you install less than 3GB of total memory. If more than 3GB memory is required for your system, then below two conditions must be met:

1. The memory controller which supports memory swap functionality is used. The latest chipsets like Intel 975X, 955X, Nvidia NF4 SLI Intel Edition, Nvidia NF4 SLI X16, and AMD K8 CPU architecture can support the memory swap function.

2. Windows XP Pro X64 Ed. (64-bit) or other OS which can address more than 4GB memory.

Now in English please...

Dave.

Edited by DasReich ~ Dave ~

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.