IMGBurn changed Icon and Cursor files

jpChris

Hi all,

I don't know how, but, IMGBurn changed and became the "default" opener for my icon and cursor files.

I was able to get my cursor files back (through Folder Options | File Types) but all my icon files don't show the picture of the icons.

How do I reset it so IMGBurn isn't the "default" for my icons? I went to the registry tab and unchecked everything, but no joy.

Hi Lightning,

I don't have any "weird file asociations" (although I understand how that could be), just the normal OOB ones.

Aren't icons supposed to display what they are? I know cursors do. Also, what program opens .ico files? Win Pic & Fax viewer nor Paint opens them.

Edited by jpChris

Win Pic & Fax viewer or Paint can open .ico files. Rightclick on the file and select Open with...

Another nice little program is IrfanView that can open .ico files.

Virtualy any program that handle picture images can open them

Hi ianymaty,

Nope. Neither Win Pic & Fax viewer,  nor Paint, will open .ico files. there's a "box" (I don't know what ilt's called) in front of every icon file everywhere on my computer that has a slightly folded upper right corner and a small left-arrow and what appears to be a small dot next to the arrow:

The attached is what they all look like. What is that box called?

post-6591-0-50490400-1365452799.jpg

Hi ianymaty,

My bad: I should have mentioned I'm running XP, and the link is for W7. I downloaded it anyway and checked what was in the tweak. It says "Photo Viewer." I'd have to change that to "shimgvw.dll", but I don't know about the rest of the registry values and as to whether it'll mung anything else up.

I have noticed that if I change the ".ico" extension to ".cur", the picture of the icon shows what it is. And, if I change it to ".jpg" it'll open with win Pic & fax viewer.

Also, in Folder Options | File Types, the ".cur" files don't have a program associated with them (same dealywad as in post 5), yet all the .cur files show what they are.

Any way to get the .ico files to show what they are again?

Edited by jpChris

If possible, copy the file association stuff from another machine running the same OS.

You'd want to export HKCR\.ico (and probably HKCR\icofile) from a working machine and import that into your registry.

Do the same for any other file types that aren't working correctly.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.