Can I get unreported disc errors?

holygamer

I burned thousands of single layer Blurays for people from ISOs. I don't use the verify option. No error messages popped up in ImgBurn. Before mailing discs I always test that the last disc I burned for that person plays in my Bluray player before sending them the discs. I do that because one time someone told me that none of the discs I sent them worked. I then found out it was because my drive was faulty yet ImgBurn didn't report and burn errors. So by checking that the last disc plays, I know that my drive isn't faulty.

Anyway, out of the thousands of discs I've sent people, one guy told me that one of the discs didn't play for him. He could see the menu but when he tried to select an episode past a certain date, it wouldn't let him. I just burned him another disc as I did before and it worked that time. He used the same Bluray player to play it as he did before. I burned the same brand of discs as I did before and burned at the same speed.

So what I don't understand is, why would that orignal disc not play if ImgBurn reported no burn errors and my drive isn't faulty? Is it possible to get faulty discs from a retailer without ImgBurn reporting burn errors? (as it usually reports an error if a disc is faulty).

Edited by holygamer

There was no error at burning time yet the disc is unreadble.

You can't pretend the program report error if isn't one at that time.

The error is at reading time and could have multiple origins. (Dodgy discs, burning speed too high or too low, the player being picky at this things...)

Always leave the verify enabled since there isn't other option to know if the process of burning and reading back the disc is without problems (at least in the drive that did the job).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.