Need A Little Help

Groundrush

JFC...Seamus.

I've worked for companies with networks less complex!

Groundrush: Your MAC filtering page will look something like this. Apologies for the size but it'll give you an idea. The MAC addresses in the list below correspond to various network adapters in use on my network (PCs, XBox etc) and are the only ones allowed access to the router.

mac.png

Did that once with the first wife. Strange to say, it's not as cool as one might think. julli-wow.gif

Couldn't erase that fucker fast enough. >_<

Shame you just secured the wireless network - we could have all logged in and taken a look at her pics on her HDD =))

Pictures...!! Na, you should have seen the video's :blush:=))=))

Seamus:

Is this what you're talking about?

254972.png

Nope. That's your network card/adapter. Your router should be accessible by typing its address into your browser. eg.. http://192.168.0.1 or something similar.

To get the NIC MAC number, open a command prompt and type:

ipconfig /all

Here's a snapshot.

ipconfig.png

What you're looking for is the PHYSICAL ADDRESS. In the case above it's 00-11-2F-61-67-8B. This is the numer that gets added to your MAC filtering table in your router.

Thanks for your expertise.

But this only matters for actual home networks. All I've got is a $50 Linksys 802.11g router, the laptop's got it's own Broadcom adapter. I'm sure there's probably more complicated ones but I went simple.

I was worried when buying it that setting it up would be like programming the space shuttle. Nope. Took less than ten minutes and I was surfing on the laptop. (Fortunately the put a big piece of fucking paper around the keyboard that said, "YOU MUST HIT Fn & F2 to activate the wireless card.")

Six months ago I got it back from BestBuy--believe me the story is not worth retelling--and couldn't figure out why the wireless adapter wasn't working. So I had to call Tech Support--fortunately there were seven days left on the warranty--so they could tell my dumb ass to hit Fn & F2.

Maybe it shit like that makes my wife call me, "the dumbest smart person she's ever met." I assure her there are waaaay dumber smart people than me.

What you're looking for is the PHYSICAL ADDRESS. In the case above it's 00-11-2F-61-67-8B. This is the numer that gets added to your MAC filtering table in your router.

Thanks for your expertise.

But this only matters for actual home networks. All I've got is a $50 Linksys 802.11g router, the laptop's got it's own Broadcom adapter. I'm sure there's probably more complicated ones but I went simple.

Even a basic router should have MAC filtering tables. It's a cheap and highly effective way of securing a network and because you're using wireless, I would absolutely enable it.

FWIW, this is my home network. "Computer OCD", I think Blu called it. (Hi Blu!) :)

Even a basic router should have MAC filtering tables. It's a cheap and highly effective way of securing a network and because you're using wireless, I would absolutely enable it.

I agree. I snagged my brothers wireless laptop over the weekend and was messing with the MAC filtering for access and all that. Not in the filter table, NO ACCESS :thumbup: Something that simple is so effective......:)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.