Power source sensitivity for dual layer burning

bumpcity76

I'm sorry, but I'm not really sure how to word the title.  I posted about having trouble burning verbatim MKM 001's and 003's with a LiteOn iHas 124 D and Sony AD 5280S-CB-Plus.  I've tried using another laptop, and I've tried swapping out my laptop's hard drive with another with a fresh XP install.  I've tried SATA to ESATA, as well a SATA to USB 2.0 interface.  Still, layer 1 always takes a dive (very high PI and PE).  The only thing constant in my setup is the power.  I understand that the second layer is 'burned through' the first layer, so does layer 1 burning require additional power?  I'm currently in Kuwait, running on 240v power.  My DVD burner power supply is dual voltage (110\240), so this 'shouldn't' be a problem.  However, we're on generator power, albeit a sophisticated setup.  I haven't noticed any issues with computers, tv's, lights, or other electronic devices, but I honestly don't know how 'clean' the power is.  I also don't know if burners are more sensitive to power fluctuations, especially when burning the second layer.  Of course, XDG2 images burn fine, and they are burning dual-layer.  Maybe overburning changes power requirements?  Can anyone offer advice?

Thanks much,

Kris

Setup:

LenovoT520 i7, 8GB RAM, SSD hard drive

LiteOn iHas 124 D

Sony AD-5280CB-Plus

SATA\ESATA or SATA\USB (x360 USB Pro v2)

External molex\SATA power supply for burner

I'm not trying to be a smartass, but what is the problem?  If  it's high readings with pi and pe, are the discs that you are making viewable/playable or not?  I looked at your other post and comparing what one program says as compared to another similar program is really meaningless since they both have different authors and undoubtedly different ways of handling data.  If your discs work in whatever device you are using them in...then what?  If the disc works, ImgBurn did what it's supposed to, if it doesn't then post a copy of the failed logfile please.

That was the first burn with the Sony drive.  Subsequent burns were much worse, I had Nero scores as in the 60's and lower.  With the iHas drive, I consistently had average PI in the 3-400 range in the second layer and never achieved a successful XDG3 burn that would play.  Some would load, but would freeze when trying to play.  So, I'm am getting unplayable games.

On one hand, I'm trying to figure out why I'm having such awful burns between two drives, three spindles of disks, different computers, etc...  The only thing constant is the power, so that's why I might suspect that.   

Second, I'm curious why XDG3 games are much more troublesome to burn than XDG2.  I understand that the disks weren't intended to have data burned that close to the edge of the disk, but why do layer 1 issues seem to start at the layer-break and run all the way through?  Without a good understanding of how the overburning works, you might assume that the overburning happens at the end of the burn, and bad overburning would only show up at the end of a disk scan.  If that was the case, then why is it comon for the entire layer 1 to show high errors?  I have a very basic understanding (from what information I can find on the internet) of how dual layer burns work, and what overburning is, but what causes the big train wreck when going from XDG2 to XDG3?  I've read that there are two methods for dual layer burning, PTP and OTP.  If XDG3 disks are burned OTP in Imgburn, then layer 1 begins at the outer edge of the disk (where overburning is done, correct?) and moves to the inside.  If that's the case, perhaps the layer-break happens in at the start of the overburned area of the disk?  I could see where that would cause layer 1 issues starting at the layer-break.  I'm trying to get a better understanding of the process to help myself troubleshoot my issues.  I haven't been able to find a good technical discussion on burning XDG3 games.  

Sorry for the confusion, and thanks much for the help!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.