Update Imgburn -- get lots of malware

roofrabbit

Starting ImgBurn on laptop, message appears to update to slightly newer version.  Do so, view about half dozen update sites.  First, I choose MajorGeeks, advertising therein confusing to me, so I next select ImgBurn web site for download.  Downloading & installing process has many adds for unwanted software so I decline all.  After installing ImgBurn, I find that my computer is filled with unwanted software.  I removed all from browser Firefox, and ran MalwareBytes.  127 pieces of malware were found!  I had run MalwareBytes -- and removed the few that it found -- just before downloading ImgBurn. Therefore, I think that all programs & malware came from the ImgBurn website download.

In the future, is there a mirror site for downloading ImgBurn that is relatively free of unwanted program & malware?

ImgBurn's installer uses the opencandy platform for product offerings at the time of installation. If you opt-in to installing those products or don't opt-out of installing them, they'll get installed.

None of of the products being offered are physically bundled with ImgBurn, they're downloaded as and when required by the opencandy platform - again, based on the options you select at the time of installation.

My guess is you missed one of the opt-outs and so had something installed that you didn't really want.

All mirrors carry the same setup exe.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.