Classic series Doctor Who DVD line to end in 2014

dbminter

2Entertain has announced that 2014 will see the last 2 classic series Doctor Who DVD releases. The Underwater Menace and The Moonbase, both having been pushed back from this year. With only a few releases left like The Tenth Planet and Terror Of The Zygons, it seems that even Mission To The Unknown won't get the animated treatment like it had been speculated. This also seems to be the end of the Special Editions, too. Which is odd. Because even though it was previously released material with new special features and new restoration processes, people were apparently willing to buy what they'd already bought before. Even I picked up a few releases like The Pirate Planet, Remembrance Of The Daleks, Resurrection Of The Daleks, Tomb Of The Cybermen, and Carnival Of Monsters. I would have thought they'd still release Special Editions because they were easy revenue streams. Go figure. :unsure:

Actually, I just learned there's no longer such a thing as 2Entertain. Apparently, they were swallowed up into BBC Worldwide and now BBC's home video arm directly makes the Doctor Who DVD's and has been for a year. Now that I think about it, I do believe my most recent Doctor Who DVD's don't have the 2Entertain logo that plays after the BBC logo.

I can't get the current Doctors here without subscribing to a much more expensive plan with Time Warner.  The last episodes that I saw was when Tennant (?) was replaced by the skinny guy.  I have to wait for NetFlix to pick up the last couple seasons I guess.

There will still be new series DVD's.

I saw the first 4 years of the new series on the Sci-Fi Channel. After that, I got lucky in my library got in all the DVD's for all the new series, except the 4 specials that made up Tennant's final year.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.