are these 3 choices of file types absolutely of no use at all???

jsksdfh

i just want to make a image file from a disc with imgburn.it asks me to choose the file type to keep the image file.there are 5 choices there:"iso files","img files","bin files","wav files",and "all files".i am not sure which one to choose.then i have read some posts in this forum,it is written ,"ImgBurn defaults to picking the right file type for the disc you've inserted when it automatically generates the destination file name".furthermore,it is also written,"if i want to choose the file types manually by myself,i should choose bin for cds and iso for all the others".from here,we can conclude that only these 2 choices("iso files" and "bin files") are useful,and all the other 3 choices("img files","wav files",and "all files") are absolutely of no use at all.so i 'd like to know what's the real use of these 3 choices("img files","wav files",and "all files"),and if these 3 choices are really of no use at all,why they are listed there for us to choose?

I don't understand some of what you're saying.

You can't save an image file from a disc to a .WAV file.  .WAV files are audio format files like MP3's.  .WAV files can be used as input files to make an audio CD in ImgBurn, but that's all.

All files also doesn't make sense.  You can't save something to a format all files unless it's letting you choose All Files to display a list of all files in the directory target you're trying to save to.  Then, you can choose a file to overwite, but you wouldn't want to do that unless you know you're overwriting an existing disc image file format.  You don't want to, say, overwrite an .EXE as a program won't run anymore.

I don't use it but it makes the most sense.

An .img would be an image file, which is what a disc would be made from.

I think .img is more of a descriptor than anything else.  Because ImgBurn defaults to whatever file type is necessary for the disc you're using.  Plus, there are other options to consider, like if you have file splitting enabled.  Normally a non audio CD disc is saved to an .ISO file.  If you have file splitting enabled, you will have files labeled .i00 and .i01 etc. plus some files that tell ImgBurn and other applications in what order those files go, like .DVD. 

CD's will be saved to .BIN and .CUE files.  To be honest, I've never really understood why CD's get saved to a different file format.

I remember reading your original post before and the replies.  I reread them just now and I don't see anything where I directly contracted what was said before.

As LUK said, you can name an image file any name you want, including .ISO, .IMG, and even .BIN.  Inside the file, though, the image file contents will still be the necessary image file type for the disc you read in.

Apparently, .IMG was a file extension used by CloneDVD or whatever it was.  I never used it so I don't think I actually have any .IMG files.  Just .ISO and .BIN/.CUE combos.

first,i am sorry for my poor english.let me make my question more clear,i asked u  "are these 3 choices of file types absolutely of no use at all???",in fact i just want to mean "are these 3 choices of file types absolutely of no use at all to make images from discs???".for example,as u have mentioned that i can't save a image from a disc to a .wav file,this implys that the choice "wav files" should never be used for making images from discs.if the choice "wav files" would never be used for making images from discs,why it is still listed there for choice????????

The 'wav' one is there for people making images from CD Audio discs.

It's basically just the same as a BIN file but with a WAVE file header stuck on the front of it so you can double click it and play it in a media player. It would play the entire disc as if it were a single track though.

thank u very much.now i fully undertsand that the choice "wav files" is also useful for making images from discs in some conditions.but how about the other 2 choices("img files",and "all files")?are these 2 choices also useful for making images from discs in some conditions?i have read a lot of posts in this forum,but never heard when to use these 2 choices for making images from discs.

img is the same as bin too. Some people just like the img extension over the bin one.

'All files' isn't a file type at all, it just lets you see all of the files in the folder you've navigated to rather than just the iso, img or bin files (depending on what's selected in the 'save as type' drop down box).

so both "bin files" and "img files" should be used for making images from cds,while "iso files"should be used for making images from dvds/blue-rays/hddvds,and "wav files" should be used for making images from audio cds.am i right?

No, just leave it on whatever the program selects for you unless you have a specific reason to change it. As you don't know where the others would be used (or be useful), you obviously have no reason to select them.

The program will use '.ISO' for single session/track 'Mode 1/2048' CDs and '.BIN' (with an accompanying '.CUE' file) for all other CDs.

It'll use '.ISO' for all DVD / HD DVD / BD.

so u mean i should let imgburn to choose the file extension for me rather than choose the file extension by myself ,as imgburn(with default settings) would always choose the right file extension for the disc i've inserted,right?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.