Burning gapless audio CDs from vinyl

nmw01223

I backup my (old) vinyl records to CD - they last longer. I do this by recording each side with Audacity, spliting into tracks, saving each as a WAV file, creating a CUE file and burning with ImgBurn.

So far, so good.

The problem comes with live albums where the tracks are continuous - no gaps.

I've read in the forum that audio CDs are split into frames of approximately 1/75 second, and if ImgBurn is writing a track, it will pad with 0s to the end of the last frame, if necessary. So, even with pre-gap set to 0 seconds, there will be a silence of up to 1/75 second between tracks.

Obvious answer is to make sure the tracks are integer multiples of the frame length.

However, I can find no easy way of ensuring this with Audacity / ImgBurn. Whilst I realise this is not an ImgBurn issue per se, I am wondering if anyone has a simple method of doing this. Alternatively, a good start would be if someone could say how many (44,100Hz) samples there are in an audio CD frame, then I can probably manage it.

You'd have to save as one long file and not split the tracks up if you don't want any digital silence (potentially being) added.

You are just talking about a maximum of 1/75 of a second though (that's what 1 sector is... or 2352 bytes if you prefer it that way). Would you really notice it? Maybe... maybe not.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.