Created Date/Time Stamp

DiscBurner

I made a data CD-R with ImgBurn 2.5.7.1, using ISO9660, Joliet and UDF 2.01.  With each file on the disc, the created date/time shows the same as the modified date/time.  Is this correct?

This is not the case with the files I have on my hard drive (that I burnt to CD-R).  I have "Use File Date & Time Selected".  I am using Windows XP SP 3.

Thanks for making ImgBurn, it is much appreciated.

Edited by DiscBurner

Yes. Not all file systems support those time stamps. Sometimes the OS will make it up based on values from other fields.

I thought that if UDF 2.01 was used, then the created date/time would be the same on the CD-R as the source file on the hard drive?

I looked at a DVD-R I burned using the same settings, and some files have the created date/time preserved, whereas other files on the same disc have the created date/time shown as the modified date/time.  So the behaviour does not seem to be consistent?

Yes. Not all file systems support those time stamps. Sometimes the OS will make it up based on values from other fields.

Could there be a possiblity that there is a bug in ImgBurn, where in some cases the creation date/time for a file is sometimes not written out to the disc when UDF 2.01 is used?

It's always written but the creation date can't be after the modified or last access date/time (and there's code in place to ensure that can't happen).

Would that fit with the files you're seeing issues with?

If you enable the 'Allow Non-Compliant File Creation Dates' option on the Advanced -> Restrictions -> UDF tab, the program will behave differently.

Maybe you'll find this thread useful?

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/14556-imgburn-not-always-preserving-file-date-stamps/

It's always written but the creation date can't be after the modified or last access date/time (and there's code in place to ensure that can't happen).

Would that fit with the files you're seeing issues with?

If you enable the 'Allow Non-Compliant File Creation Dates' option on the Advanced -> Restrictions -> UDF tab, the program will behave differently.

Maybe you'll find this thread useful?

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/14556-imgburn-not-always-preserving-file-date-stamps/

Many thanks for this useful explanation - it perfectly explains the created date/time behaviour of files (and folders) on my discs.  I wasn't aware this functionality was present and by design.  But now I know what to expect and why it happens, I'm happy leaving it as is, knowing my disc is compliant to the UDF standards.  :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.