Name that Movie !

AlienX69

Saw a movie when I was a child (around 10), this movie stuck with me as it scared the fork outta me. But I cant remember the name of the flick. Was hoping the chaps, gents from the UK might know as this was filmed in the UK, I think.

The movie starts with a metorite shower hitting the earth, then these creatures are spawn. The creatures were a brain looking thing with a spine tail that ran along the ground.

Does this some familar to anyone ? As I would like to watch this movie again ....

AX

Saw a movie when I was a child (around 10), this movie stuck with me as it scared the fork outta me. But I cant remember the name of the flick. Was hoping the chaps, gents from the UK might know as this was filmed in the UK, I think.

The movie starts with a metorite shower hitting the earth, then these creatures are spawn. The creatures were a brain looking thing with a spine tail that ran along the ground.

Does this some familar to anyone ? As I would like to watch this movie again ....

AX

Maybe....The Tingler. It had things like spines in it.

You're thinking of a black and white British movie called Fiend Without A Face, released on DVD by Criterion (NOT Anchor Bay Entertainment, sorry. At least, the R1 disc is Criterion.) And this coming from an American. :lol: The brains were stop motion affairs, with snail like eye stalks out of them, that would spring off of their coiled spines and wrap them around people's necks, strangling them. They made these hideous beating and gurgling sounds, and, when shot, oozed blood like a spout. Turns out the creatures were just physical manifestations of energy feeding of a local power plant. The brains were eventually stopped by shutting down the power, thus, they had no energy to feed off of and, as such, no real bodies. US poster: http://www.hammerposters.com/pics/us10350.jpg

Edited by dbminter

For the 1950's, the effects were quite shocking, actually. :) Especially the brains oozing blood when shot.

For a 10 yr old it was quite schocking, scared the be-Jesus outta me, dat's why I wanna see it again ....

THX db .... much appreicated !!! :thumbup:

AX

AMC plugged in a hard to find British movie for Halloween. Island Of The Burning Doomed, a Terrence Fisher, non-Hammer production starring Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing, both in non-villain parts! :o It only seems to pop up once every 5 or 10 years, it seems. Last time I saw it was on TNT in 1995. Then, 5 years before on a local station, and a handful of times before 1985.

OMG! I forgot about that! I put that up there on IMDB, I'm sure! :lol:

Well I watch the movie .... that's not the one, amazingly what I described is in the movie, except of the meteorite shower, and that's how I remember the one I was looking for started.

Also the alien creatures would stand upright on that spine/tail when they scamperd around. The one I'm trying to located was definetly much better than "Fiend Without a Face". And I want to think that is was done in the UK and another that I'm not sure of is I think it ended where they stranded/trapped in a lighthouse. But I could be all washed up .....

THX for the try db ....

AX

Thunder stealer! :angry:

I was waiting for his reply and going to say the same thing IF it was. :swear:

Anyway, yes, I was going to say the same thing. :) The film now sounds like Day Of The Triffids, a 1960's joint British and American version. All the scenes in the lighthouse were added later because the script was too short. They were directed by Freddie Francis, uncredited, and hastily writte by the film's uncredited writer, Bernard Gordon, who had to go credited under someone else's name due to being blacklisted in Hollywood during the McCarthy era. The brains on spines are not brains on spines that coil and kill people ;) but are flesh eating plants that sting people. In England, the film was also known as Invasion Of The Triffids and Revolt Of The Triffids. The movie ends with the new idea that salt water kills Triffids, as discovered at the lighthouse at the end of the movie. The BBC TV mini-series ends like the novel.

BTW, Day Of The Triffids was the very first movie I ever owned. :D A VHS I got at a K-Mart in 1985 for $9.95. Back BEFORE I even HAD VHS! :o I would have to get a player from the public library to see it. Even though I converted it to DVD, I still have my VHS ;) for centimental reasons. As well as legal. =))

Be warned: a proper DVD release does not exist. The Allied Artist "official" release is a terrible, muddy VHS to DVD transfer. Thus far, the best release is a cheap, unauthorized one from Cheezy Flicks. BUT, they give you Princo DVD-R's, so, be sure to properly "protect" them. :shifty: You can check out IMDB under alternate versions, because, I KNOW I entered those two notes there myself! :lol:

Now, it is also possible this film could be a Peter Cushing movie called Island Of Terror. aka Night Of The Silicates, The Creepers, The Night The Creatures Came, and The Night The Silicates Came. It takes place on a small island where creatures called Silicated that feed on human bone marrow are running amok. They make the most unusual scratching sounds that betray their presence. They have developed a taste for radiation, too. :)

This was on T.V. a couple of weeks ago I'm sure! I had a couple of days off sick and I'm sure that's when I watched it. Howard Keel waving his big hose around. No wonder LFC knew what film it was!! =))=))=))=))

Hmmm... this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/jpel...02/takethat.gif

and that:

http://www.imahosting.com/sigs/headsmash.gif

together in the same post... there is something to that. :lol:

BTW, for you Doctor Who fans, look for a cameo by the actress who played Susan, Carol Anne Ford, as a blind French woman. She, unfortunately, gets eaten by a Triffid. :devil:

Let me explain the scene in question. :lol: Keel's character in the film has adapted a gasoline hose from a tanker truck and converted it into a miniature flame thrower. :D

Keel was in westerns, musicals, and on the TV series Dallas, probably what he is best known for. He passed away just over a year ago. Triffids was probably one film he did for the money. ;)

Look for the tennis shoe wearing Triffids walking down the road towards his truck in a brief shot near the end of the film. :blush:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.