Imgburn seems to "steal" file icon associations

typhoon71

I'm on a win7 x64 PC, last Imgburn, and I'm experiencing something strange.

I wanted to customze the icon shown for .iso files, but I noticed that while I can change it Imgburn seems to revert the setting upon being launched.

So I disabled any association in Imgburn,and changed the icon again, but as soon I open the iso with Imgburn the setting is gone, and I'm back with the default icon.

Then I went into the registry, and noticed the ImgBurn.AssocFile.iso -classes: I tried modifying the icon there, but same thing happens, as soon as I launch Imgburn, icon is reset.

Also, if I delete one of those entries, Imgburn recreates them, and this shouldn't be, since I disabled shell integration (Imgburn shouldn't touch them).

Is it possible to fix this "possessive" behaviour? Thanks.

Here is a screenie of my registry setting: http://www.imagebam.com/image/0b5a72330968249.

Edited by typhoon71

If ImgBurn is configured like that, it isn't going to be touching the registry when you close it down... and it certainly doesn't touch it when you open it up.

Open up RegEdit and take a look at HKCR\.iso

The 'Default' setting in there (if there is one) is what'll be being used as the default program for such files.

mmm, HKCR\.iso doesn't have anything in it, it's just empty. It' strange.

I'm absolutely certain that when I open and close Imgburn the "ImgBurn.AssocFile.xxx" stuff gets re-created, and it puzzles me.

I'm not saying it's Imgburn, but it happens after launching it so somehow it should be related.

I know it's something not really Imgburn related, I mean related to what the program does, but still...

Do you have any idea of what may be going on?

I'll try removing Imgburn completely, cleaning the registry by hand and reinstalling, but it doesn't make sense to me, so any help would be good for me.

It definitely doesn't write anything to the registry until it has been shut down.

If those keys are suddenly reappearing, something else is putting them there. Maybe something like 'Process Monitor' from Microsoft/SysInternals could help you find out what's doing it.

That said, the keys aren't a problem. It's whatever's under the HKCR\.iso that's important. You should also be able to right click an ISO file, select 'Open With' and then edit the default program that way. Explorer has its own way of dealing with default file associations and they can override the settings you see in HKCR (which is itself a merged HKLM and HKCU).

Seems like you are right about this issue not being caused by Imgburn: I removed it and installed CD burner XP, and the same thing happens with it, so Imgburn is not the culprit.

Still, for some reason the settings gets reset every time I launch a program. This happens only for .iso / disc images so far, but it's pretty annoying.

You said "xplorer has its own way of dealing with default file associations": is there something beside the "Open with" menu entry and the "Default programs" in control panel?

I'll give a shot to process monitor, maybe it could help me. If you can give me some pointers I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.