50 Horror Classics!

dbminter

Saw an ad on TV for this and I had to laugh!

Since it's Halloween time, it's also time for TV networks and stores to drag out the old monster movies. A mail order ad was just on for 50 classic horror movies on DVD. Now, of course, these are muddy public domain transfers of public domain pictures you've seen hundreds of times in stores: Night Of The Living Dead, House On Haunted Hill, The Last Man On Earth, The Giant Gila Monster, etc. In fact, this very same 50 movie collection can be bought at K-Mart right now! :lol: For the same price, without having to pay the shipping. Now, 50 movies for $20 might be a good deal until you hear this. This 50 movie set comes... on FOUR DVD's! :o Even if each movie was only 1 hour long, that's, when you factor in that few of these films are just over an hour, that's over 10 movies on each disc! Can you imagine how high the compression rate must be to fit that much video on a disc?! :huh:

I would expect it to be equal to a home recorded VHS EP 8 hour dollar store tape recorded from aluminum foil wrapped rabbit ears. Would look awesome as a demo for a 60" plasma :lol:

Ahh yes, the ten hour tape. I don't miss splicing torn tape even a little. What's the real kick in the head is remembering thinking $3 for a TDK video tape was a good deal ^_^

Yeah, I remember when TDK *USED* to be a good quality tape brand! They offered three "quality" levels, but, now, all they offer is standard. Which is even WORSE than their old standard now. You never know how much of the tape is going to be creased, IF tracking can even RECORDED on to the tape. If you buy packs of them, how many will have crushed plates, etc. :rolleyes:

I would guess that it's all old stock now when it comes to VHS blanks, or at least very close to the end. Apparently Wal-Mart will no longer be stocking VHS in 2006. Most video rental shops here don't bring in any VHS at all anymore, and are selling off they're old stock. You can pick up a stand alone DVD recorder for about $150Can. now, and the selection of new VCR's for sale is shrinking almost daily. They had a good run though, 20+ years of strong sales and rentals, DVD's won't be dominant that long.

Unfortunately, recordable DVD is only a viable option when you have a finite, static video source. e.g. a video tape. They created DVD's at exactly 2 hours, but, they were smart enough to make VHS about 12 minutes longer. Because it has to be faced: TV programmers don't give a damn. Shows never start on the designated time, so, in order to tape a movie in a 2 hour block, with DVD, you're pretty much screwed. Until all DVD recorders have HD's in them to record to first and then to DVD, VHS recordable tapes are still a necessity.

The ultimate answer IMO, but highly unlikely, would be a truely functional commercial skip feature. Most new "hour" long shows (for example Smallville) are 39-42 minutes in length. Thats 18-21 minutes of commercials per hour! That's why I don't watch much broadcasted TV, I wait for the DVD's to save myself the agony of all that propaganda.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.