Malware alert

Visiing Newb 2014

Since I cannot seem to reply to existing topics on the subject, I will start a new topic.  

When I went through the download process, I found that I had to be EXCEEDINGLY careful.  If you choose "Express download (recommended)" it will install Conduit which, as far as I'm concerned, is a virus which takes over your computer and is very hard to get rid of.

I also found Conduit in the Custom install options - you have to de-select the checkboxes manually. 

IMGBurn - I understand that you need to run a business and getting paid is important - we all need to get paid.  But I consider Conduit to be ridiculous and evil.  I have unknowingly downloaded Conduit with other software - I think their ethical practices suck, and it's too bad that you have partnered with them.  I think it's incredibly sneaky how a user can easily miss the appropriate choices and mistakenly install a horrible program.

If you want to be an ethical company (it seems this is the case from your responses to forum comments), please make it very obvious and fool-proof to choose not to install 3rd-party software.  It would not matter if the software was easily removable and did not do any damage but this is not the case with Conduit.

Please reconsider this offering.  I would be so happy to support IMGBurn and recommend you to others if you were known for your accountability, transparency, and thoughtfulness for customers.  Thank you.

The express and custom things are purely for the 3rd programs you're being offered and nothing to do with ImgBurn. The title at the top of the screen says as much.

The offer screens are nothing to do with me, I don't know what you're going to be offered and I don't know what the offer screen will look like. That's all handled by the advertising company's plugin and is done dynamically.

• 9 months later...

The offer screens are nothing to do with me

Oh but they are. In your release notes you made a conscious decision to use OpenCandy. You could make a decision NOT to use it and instead offer the brilliant ImgBurn as a paid-for product. You know I would pay for it and I think others would sincerly like to reward you for your hard work with the piece of mind of using safe software.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.