"Duplex Secure's SPTD driver can have a detrimental effect on drive performance"

T Hutchems

I've seen a couple of threads about this. I'm getting this message in my log but I'm not sure if my drive is failing or not. Attached is my log and an image from my System Information page.

My DVD RW drive is not always recognizing discs so I'm thinking my drive may be failing but I'm not sure what to do about the driver (or lack of). I believe I had Daemon Tools and Alocohol 120 in the past but I deleted them long ago.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

ImgBurn.log

post-54290-0-58401000-1420468928_thumb.jpg

There is a separate uninstall utility for SPTD out there on the web, I believe.  You can try searching for it, running it, and see if that gets rid of your log entry.

It is odd that after all this time after uninstalling Alcohol/Daemon Tools you'd still be getting that message.  And the fact that your drive isn't always recognizing discs seems to indicate a greater problem.

Hmmm...I went into my Control Panel to double-check that I had uninstalled Daemon Tools (Pro). It's not listed there but the folder is still in Program Files. When I click on the Uninstall exe., it just hangs about halfway through uninstalling. Maybe I should just delete the folder?

Sounds like a botched uninstall.  Of course, deleting the folder won't remove the SPTD log entry and if the file/folder is somehow still in use even without Daemon Tools installed, it may even be impossible to delete.

Check out the SPTD FAQ for the uninstaller applicable to your 32/64 bit Windows.

http://www.duplexsecure.com/faq

There's also this from the start of the FAQ: "SPTD (similar to other access layers) is by default not removed from your system after uninstallation of software application which used SPTD, in order not to disrupt other applications that may use it! This also allows user to avoid reboots in most cases for new installations if same SPTD version is already present on his system."

So, uninstalling Daemon Tools Pro definitely didn't remove the SPTD layer.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.